Expand my Community achievements bar.

Is there a script to add to a form in LiveCycle to disable digital stamp editing in Adobe Reader

Former Community Member

I work for a state Agency and we want to use digital stamps as our signatures on our internal documents. I have created the form in LiveCycle and I know that in Adobe Reader by default the stamp will use the person's sign on ID for the stamp and then the person adds their name and other information.

However, if the person right clicks the stamp, and edits the Identity and puts in another sign on ID number, such as their supervisor's and stamps the document, there is no way to tell that both of those stamps, with different sign on IDs and names, were created by the same person.

If there is a script I can enter in LiveCycle, that when the form is opened in Adobe Reader, that would lock the Identity field of a stamp created in Adobe Reader from allowing a change to the sign on ID, then that would solve our problem and maybe the problem for other state agencies wanting to follow suit.

The digital signatures are even worse. I made one in my name, my supervisor's name and my dog's name, attached them all to a document, validated all the signatures and they look absolutely authentic. Why would Adobe make digital signatures like that? If we could just find some evidence within the data showing that all the signatures were applied by the same person or on the same computer, then we could use them. But the stamps at least grab that unique sign on number that we use and applies it to the stamp if the user doesn't alter it.

I'm on a time crunch as we hoped to launch this after the first of the year but our attorneys are saying, "uh, uh" until something can be done to prevent fraud. We have over 3,000 people in our agency so EchoSign would be out of the question.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

1 Reply

Former Community Member

Maybe some sort of "get identity" or something. We just need to be able to prove who put the stamp on the document.