Expand my Community achievements bar.

Is there a decent way to share a PDF?

Former Community Member

hey guys,

Adobe Connect Pro (which I believe was built on LCCS) allows you to share a PDF. Any ideas how they do this? Can flash load a PDF?

Last time I tried it, the PDF viewer was wrapped in such a way that you couldn't see state like current page, etc...

3 Replies

Former Community Member

Hi Sandy,

Adobe ConnectNow and not Connect Pro is built on LCCS and it doesn't support sharing of PDF. I will say better is to ask the flash forum about uploading pdf as they might have a better solution.

Thanks

Hironmay Basu

Employee

You can temporary store your PDFs in LCCS using the FilePublisher and FileSubscriber, but we currently don't support any kind of file "viewer" so you will have to implement that part yourself.

If you are building an AIR application, AIR allows you to display PDF files, assuming you have Reader installed.

Note that in ConnectPro PDF files are converted to Flash and displayed in a Flash viewer, similar to what you can do with Acrobat.com.

Also, if the core of your application is sharing PDF files between users (and co-browser the file) you should know that Acrobat (and Reader), starting from version 9 support this feature in the application (and it's actually implemented using LCCS in the back-end). You need to have Acrobat to enable document collaboration, but once is enabled you can use Reader to co-browser the file.

Level 3

Well, there is... there are a few ways and they all involve pretty much the same process... converting the pdf file to a swf [there are a lot of free utilities out there to do that].  Then maybe making a simple pdf viewer[actually swf viewer]... adding some scroll bars and zoom functionality.  Or you can use one of the solutions that exists, for example print2flash.  I believe Adobe has a solution as well called FlashPaper]which they discontinued development on, but you can still download, the only problem is that if you are using flex, you have to do a bit more to get it to work.  print2flash, which  I believe is a tuned version of the Adobe product, comes with  a decent Flex api.  To sum it up, the best way in my opinion is to use a free program such as pdf2swf and make your own custom viewer for flex.  however if for some reason you don't have the time to do that, I would recommend just using print2flash.