Expand my Community achievements bar.

Is LiveCycle Designer the appropriate tool

Level 1

Hello there,

I am looking for a tool to take existing PDF forms (think goverment forms) and make some subtle formatting changes, and generate new forms.

I plan to use fdf files to populate the form fields when rendering the pdfs from the forms.

Is LiveCycle Designer the appropriate tools for this type of work?

I am being lazy here. I do not want to recreate the entire pdf form. I would really like to take the existing pdf form and use it as the base to begin with. I want to add a couple of new form fields and then save it.

I presume that LiveCycle Designer would do this.

Thanks for any information.

.......Cameron

6 Replies

Former Community Member

If the original PDF was designed with Designer, then you will have no problems editing and rearranging fields. If it is a 'Flat' PDF then you wont be able to just open it and start moving the fields and text around. It will be like working with an image. You will still be able to add fields and cover up sections of text with a white block, but you will be unable to change the spelling of text in a paragraph, for example.

Level 7

Hi Cameron,

To add to Dallas's post, even if the pdf was created in some other program (and not flat) you will probably still have some difficulty adding content to it. Converting from FormFlow goes pretty well, converting from MS Word is hit and miss. Can you post one of your forms? It would be much easier to give you a good answer if we could see what you're dealing with.

Level 1

Hre is one of the forms I am looking at.

I presumed that if the form was fillable, it had not yet been "flattened".

But then again, I am new to this PDF arena.

Thanks for any information.

Level 7

The form is password protected, can you post the password or repost the form with the password taken off?

Former Community Member

This PDF is asking for a password when I try open it in Designer. Do you know what the password is?

Level 1

Oh crap!

These are Government forms.

I do not have the passwords for the PDFs.

This will be a bit of a challenge for me...

I suppose I could create the entire PDF from scratch.

That might be faster.

Thanks,