Expand my Community achievements bar.

Is it possible to have a PDF Form that is both static and dynamic?

Former Community Member

So I have a form that I need to make that would consist of two different pages. The first being lots of form fields and some simple graphics where the user could use the comment markup tools to draw some simple lines. The second page would be all text and filling out narrative. So the second page being dynamic and being able to expand would be important. The first page would not need to expand at all. Is there any way to do this and still have the form be one file, one document? What about embedding a dynamic form inside of the static form? Such as how you can embed a word document inside of an excel form... I've done some research but I can't tell if this is even possible. Thanks in advance.

3 Replies

Level 1

If I'm understanding your problem statement correctly, all you need to do is set the first page as positioned, and the second page (and all it's sub forms) to flowed.

Level 10

It's not possible to use an static pdf (PDF artwork) and a dynamic pdf (XFA foreground) together in one file.

The comment tools will not work for XFA forms, so you cannot use XFA when you need them.

You can attach your XFA form to your static PDF using Acrobat, but it will still be a separate file even it's distributed together with the other one.

Former Community Member

Yeah I kinda figured that... Really too bad. Seems lke it should be possible somehow. Anyway, do you all have any suggestions about the best way to combine a static form that is really just text fields and such (that comments and markup tools can be used in) with another page that is sections of narrative that would need to be able to flow?

Or better yet, a way to draw lines on to a form without using the comment and markup function?

I like your idea about connecting two forms - but I need to keep the final product as simple as possible. Once the user fills it out, they would be to be able to submit it and it show up as one file, even if that is just a flat file. I don't expect you all to tell me how to do this, but it would be nice to know its possible before I commit to the project and research. Thanks in advance.