Expand my Community achievements bar.

Is it possible to add files to a PDF form submission?

Level 3

Hi there,

Someone asked me to add an attachment field to a PDF dynamic form. Based on previous research we figured out that will not be possible: our users don't have Acrobat - just Reader - and we won't purchase Reader Extensions. How about using a form field to help the user send the attachments that a are required with that give form? For instance:

- User would fill in the form and when asked for attachments he/she would browse for the file.

- The form would save the file name as text on the form (like the answer for a text field)

- The PDF form would memorize the location of the file(s)

- When the user hits "Submit" the PDF form would gather the files listed for attachment and add them as attachments - in additon to itself - to the email created by the submission button.

That way the attachments are not saved as part of the PDF form, but the PDF form is automating the process of adding them to the submission email.

Is that doable with LiveCycle Designer? Any tips on how to go about coding/building those actions?

Thanks in advance,

AV

5 Replies

Level 10

If your user is using Adobe Reader and wants to add an attachment to your PDF file... you need Adobe LiveCycle Designer Reader Extensions to do that...

If your user is using Adobe Acrobat Pro then u can add attachments with this

var myDoc = event.target;

var sFile = "myFile" + NumericField1.rawValue;

myDoc.importDataObject({cName: sFile});

var myDataObject = myDoc.getDataObject(sFile); 

var sFileName = myDataObject.path; 

ListBox1.addItem(sFileName,sFile); 

NumericField1.rawValue = NumericField1.rawValue + 1;

you can also remove the file

myDoc.removeDataObject(sFile);

you can also open the file

myDoc.exportDataObject({ cName: sFile, nLaunch: 2 });

Level 3

When I read "add attachments to a PDF form" I understand a file is embedded in the PDF form and will be accessed through the PDF form in Reader or Acrobat. That is not what we want to. We want the attachment to be embedded on the e-mail created on submit. The attachment/file will be stored with the e-mail message. The PDF form is just a tool to streamline that process. As mentioned above we already know the requirements for Acrobat Pro or Reader Extensions and those are not options in our environment.

So let me rephrase that question:

- Is a LiveCycle Dynamic PDF Form capable of attaching files to an email message upon submit? We do not want those attachments to be added to the PDF form. The files would be attached/embedded to the e-mail message generated by the submit button.

Hope this helps clarify the request.

Thanks again.

Level 10

I've already tried that, couldnt find the solution either.... sorry

Level 10

I don't believe that is possible.

Level 1

Did you ever find an answer? I would like to be able to do the same thing...