Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Is it possibile to add dynamic piechart on PDF form

Level 1

Hi

I am trying to create a calculation PDF form. This form is doing several calculation. I need to plot/draw/create pie chart based on the data entered on form.

Is this is possibile using Adobe LiveCycle Designer?

How can i do this task?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,

Victor

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

I am not sure if a pie chart is possible (or achievable without a lot of blood, sweat and tears).

We got a column chart working based on John Brinkman's blog and example here.

LittleSnapper1.png

Also Radzmar at Acrobat User Group forums had a PDF form with several types of charts (but not a pie chart). Have a look here.

I suspect that while it is reasonable straight forward to draw lines and rectangles - drawing segments within a circle are going to be very difficult.

Maybe a different tool like Xcelsius or Flex would work better.

Good luck,

Niall

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi,

I am not sure if a pie chart is possible (or achievable without a lot of blood, sweat and tears).

We got a column chart working based on John Brinkman's blog and example here.

LittleSnapper1.png

Also Radzmar at Acrobat User Group forums had a PDF form with several types of charts (but not a pie chart). Have a look here.

I suspect that while it is reasonable straight forward to draw lines and rectangles - drawing segments within a circle are going to be very difficult.

Maybe a different tool like Xcelsius or Flex would work better.

Good luck,

Niall

Level 1

Hi Niall,

Can you share how to draw the Y-Axis lines? I am able to show the label on the X-Axis but am unable to show the lines on the Y-Axis. Please help. Thank you.

See example below:

cubsuser88_0-1651763895189.png

Thank you

Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for your valueable reply...

My requirements is:

1. Need to create a PDF file which will be a dynamic FORM.

2. User will enter dynamic data. and this will calculate data and give some output on the pdf file in tabular format.

Note: Above two is 100% done.

3. Based on entered data, pdf will display PIE chart. PIE chart will change data as we change data in input fields.

Queries:-

1. Could you please guide how can i use Flex technology for the above requirement? Considering Charts and PDF form. Given above scenario.

Thanks,

Victor

Level 10

Hi Victor,

We have started to use Flex, which generate a Flash (swf) file. We have created a simple form and embed the swf into a pdf, so that all of the form functionality is in the swf. However we have not worked out as yet how to save user inputted data into the swf.

Thom Parker (WindJack Solutions) has an example of embedding a video into a dynamic PDF, but this takes a bit of scripting. Example here. In this case you would have the data in the dynamic form abd the pie chart (previously created in Flex) in the swf. The trouble will be when trying to link the two. We are too early on the Flex road to be able to give you clear/correct answers on this.

Attached is an example of a swf (from Flex) in Acrobat. You will need Acrobat/Reader v9 to view. It is very basic and currently does not remember any changes to the swf. Also the pie chart does not update automatically - hit the refresh button. Flex developers may cringe  ;-)

In summary if need pie charts don't use LC Designer. If you are developing in Flex don't import swf into Acrobat - use as web based form or AIR.

Lastly - there is a view amongst visualisation experts that pie charts are not the best way to display data - better to use a column chart.

Good luck,

Niall

ps - slightly improved version that updates the pie chart as data is amended. Using the change event of the textInput object.

Former Community Member

Hi all,

You can also use google chart services when you are generating PDF docs through LC Output ES2. You can find a sample demo from the link indicated below.

http://muratkuru.com.tr/?p=176

Enjoy,

murat