Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Installation of Adobe LiveCycle Reader Extensions ES2

Level 2

Hi,

Adobe has informed us that we need to use Adobe LiveCycle Reader Extensions ES2 in stead of Adobe LiveCycle Designer ES 8.2. We had some doubts about the reason why, but that's a different issue.

Now, when we want to order Adobe LiveCycle Reader Extensions ES2 we need to indicate on what application server we will install (IBM WebSphere / Oracle WebLogic / JBoss). However, I want to install it on a desktop pc. Can anybody explain me which of the 3 options I need to order? What is the difference?

Thanks in advance!

Erik

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Comes with the installation software.

Jasmin

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Level 10

LiveCycle Designer is a client-side application that allows you to create forms.

Reader Extension is a LiveCycle service that allows you to extend the functionality contain within the free Reader.

Usually, you use Designer to build the form and Reader Extension to extend it so you can use the free Reader to view the form a perform some extra features (like save the form data locally, call web services, etc).

Now there are two ways you can apply Reader Extensions to a form:

- You can use LiveCycle Reader Extension, which is a service running server side. You need to install LiveCycle on an application server. If you want to run the application server on your machine, the lighter one would be JBoss.

- You can also use Adobe Acrobat to Reader extend your form, but there are some restrictions (for example the number of users that can use the form, etc).

Jasmin

Former Community Member

Also the Reader Extension in Acrobat only has a subset of the functionality that Reader Extensions server has. So depending on what you are trying to do as well as how many users will use the form will determine if Acrobat can be used or

not.

Acrobat will only allow you to digitally sign and to save a copy of the form and data locally. All other functionality is enabled through the LiveCycle server.

Paul

Level 2

Hi Jasmin,

thanks for your reply! I still am a little unsure if I understand you explaination.

I already have created forms with LiveCycle Designer E.S. 8.2 on my desktop pc. I now need to add a functionality to the forms I have created (importing data from an external XML file).The users that will work with my forms are only having the Reader.

So, how does the Reader Extension work? Is it software I can install on my desktop pc, or do I need to install it on a server (that I do not have)? Is it then an extra compentent in LiveCycle Designer E.S. 8.2? Or is it another piece of software?

Thanks in advance!

Erik

Level 2

Hi Paul,

thanks for your reply! That's exactly why I need the Reader Extensions. This is what I need:

I have created about 20 forms that up to 100 people can fill in and save. There is some data available in an external XML file. It would save the users a lot of time, when the data from the external XML file is imported in the PDF. However, the users only have the Reader, and I was told by Adobe the only the Reader Extentions would make this possible.

Erik

Level 10

Reader Extensions has nothing to do with  LC Designer.

Once you're done creating your form, you don't need to go back to Designer.

Reader Extensions takes a PDF as an input and creates a Reader Extended PDF.

You can use the server side option (LiveCycle) or the client side option (Acrobat, with its limitation).

Jasmin

Former Community Member

Then yes you will need Reader Extension Server to extend your file. As Jasmin points out you woudl finish your design then save your form as a PDF. Then you woudl launch the Reader Extension server UI and upload the PDF file, choose your extension options and then it will return to you a PDF. It is that PDF that  you would distribute.

Yes it is server software. It comes with a turnkey install that has a JBoss application server, a MySQL database and all of the software required for you to do this. You only have to supply a server. You can look at the hardware specs for the server on the web site.

Hope that helps

Paul

Level 2

Thanks all for your replies!

So, I have to supply a pc that will function as a server and then I need to order the Reader Extensions ES2 for JBoss. That software will install all necessary programms to run as a server.

Correct me if I'm wrong! Thanks very much.

Erik

Level 10

You got it.

The easier way to install it is to use the Turnkey installation.

It'll install everything for you.

Jasmin

Level 2

Thanks again.

This Turnkey installation, does it come with the installation software, or do I need to order this as a separate piece of software?

Erik

Correct answer by
Level 10

Comes with the installation software.

Jasmin

Level 1

I have Adobe LiveCycle Designer 8.0 and want to trial Reader Extensions ES2.    Can I download and trial on my local PC ( where Designer is installed ), as opposed to a server ?

Level 2

Hi,

that's exactly what I wanted, but I was unable to find any trial software for this subject. So, when I contacted Adobe, they kind of 'ordered' me to buy the software because what I was doing was not according to the license of Adobe LiveCycle Designer.

But perhaps someone else has found the trialsoftware. If so, please let us know .

Level 4

I have Reader Extensions ES2 Credentials. Now how to install it on my existing LC ES2 ??

-

Abhinav

Level 8

You can do it during the LiveCycle installation (the install wizard has a step for RE credentials) or through the adminui if LiveCycle is already installed.

Though adminui go to : Home > Settings > Trust Store Management > Local Credentials> Import Credential

Under trust store type select:  Reader Extensions Credential.  Then  select an alias (this will be used in your processes or code), browse to the credentail and enter the Adobe supplied password.  Click ok and you are done.

ImportCredential.png

Level 4

The documentation on how to install a Reader Extensions credential can be found at http://help.adobe.com/en_US/livecycle/9.0/adminHelp/admin.htm?content=000145.html

Note that the process I used to find this was to launch LiveCycle Cafe and use the search tool for "Reader Extensions Credential."  It was the first hit in LiveCycle ES2 help.  If you're not running Cafe, I suggest that you load it and give it a try...  http://adobe.com/go/cafe

Level 1

I am a contractor working with a national agency. I don't have rights to set up any sort of server on my PC at work, which runs Windows XP Professional -- NOT Windows Server as Adobe's tech specs indicate. At home, I use Windows 7 Professional.

Most of the PDF forms I set up only require users to type text in text fields, click check boxes, or decide "yes" or "no" in radio buttons. For those simple forms, have found that Acrobat Pro's "Enable Reader Features" allows users to fill out the form in Reader, save it to their hard drive, and attach it to an email to return the completed forms.

I know that this WON'T work if we include any data functions or buttons which run JavaScripts.  For example, one of my users wants a button that allows them to attach a file to the PDF. That button won't work in Reader unless I use LiveCycleReader Extensions to enable full functionality in Reader. Correct me if I have any of this wrong, so far. I am considering equipping one of my computers at home with LiveCycleReader Extensions to create these forms -- if they can be used independently of the server I have to set up on my home PC.

1. Would any forms created in LiveCycle Reader Extensions have to be returned to the server I would need to set up on my PC, or could users complete the froms, save them, and attach them to email as they do with the simple forms created in Acrobat?
  2. You mentioned that Reader Extensions includes JBoss to set up a local server. Could I even install LiveCycle Reader Extensions on my PC if it only has Windows 7 Professional? Would it work on Windows 7 Professional?

(I already asked about setting up a server for these forms at work and was told "It'll never happen!"  My customers are reluctant to accept an answer that , "Yes, it is possible to enable these features but we are not allowed to do what it takes to make them work."