Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Insert copy of a filled out subform

Level 4

Can I create a button that would insert a copy of a subform that a user already filled out that would contain the information they entered?

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

Interesting question - yes a standard repeating subform with the contents (objects) set to Global binding in the Object/Binding tab will work.

Sample here: https://acrobat.com/#d=QxBEUeHZFVUpVGylvpvQUQ

Good luck,

Niall

Level 4

Thanks for the speedy reply, Niall! Always so helpful!

That solution will keep the information in every subsequent instance, right?

I need the user to be able to fill out the subform and then choose to either insert a copy of that subform with their information or insert a clean subform. The repeat would only work for the most recent subform filled out. I uploaded my form for you to see.

If you scroll down to the bottom you will see buttons for different question types (Multiple Choice, Fill in the Blank, etc). If you click a button, the blank subform for that question type appears. I want the user to be able to copy their most recent data because it will often be the same for a series of questions with just a few differences. Does that make sense?

https://acrobat.com/#d=xDsGfDkbX4t*YiT7JQeJKA

Level 10

Ahh,

Global binding is not going to work in this case.

The only thing I can think is that as part of the click event, the script would look at the previous instance of the subform and manually copy each field from the previous instance. This is going to be messy, particularly given that there are repeating subforms within the parent subform.

I think that if you were to go the scripting route, there would be potential for getting tied in knots.

Let me know what you think...

Niall

Level 4

Yeah, this form is already so complicated and I don't really know what I'm doing to begin with! I was hoping for an easy solution, but it sounds like this feature would be more trouble than it's worth.