Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Info needed on limitations of Rights Management

Former Community Member

Hi

I'm hoping someone can confirm a couple of things for me as trying to get hold of someone at Adobe through other channels is proving rather difficult.

My company currently host unsecured pdf files on our website and allow users to download and/or print them for personal use.  They are free to air so users do not need

a username and password to access them.  We dont necessarily want to secure them so that only subscribers can access them, but we do want to track who opens them and what they do with them.

Everything I've read on LiveCycle Rights Management indicates that we need to know who is accessing the PDFs, or who has permission to access them. 

- Can Adobe LiveCycle track what someone does with pdf files if they don't have a username and password for our site?

- Can it track is someone downloads the pdf and emails it or posts online?

- Can it track printing of a pdf?

- If we were to secure the PDFs so that only subscribers can access them, can it integrate with SalesForce to authenticate users?

Thanks

Nicky

4 Replies

Former Community Member

Nicky

When a policy is applied to a PDF using Rights Management, users who were included in the policy must authenticate to Rights Management.  Users are stotred in a database, and authentication is eother handled by LiveCycle or LDAP (depending on how the LC database of users was populated.

It is possible to set a policy to "Anonymous", which means there is no authentication step, anyone can open the PDF, but permissions can still be enforced (i.e. No Print), but the permissions are global (meaning the same for every user that opens the PDF)

Can Adobe LiveCycle track what someone does with pdf files if they don't have a username and password for our site?

Answer:  Yes, LiveCycle can still track track the actions taken on a PDF (i.e. It was printed, content (was copied from the PDF etc), but If an anonymous policy is used, you won't know "who" did it.

Can it track is someone downloads the pdf and emails it or posts online?

Answer:  No, LiveCycle only tracks what is done to the PDF while it is open in Reader.  It can't track what happens to it as a closed file.

- Can it track printing of a pdf?

Answer: Yes

If we were to secure the PDFs so that only subscribers can access them, can it integrate with SalesForce to authenticate users?

Answer:  I believe so, Rights Management has an API that allows you to write a "custom" authentication method that could leverage the authentication mechanism of a third party app.

Regards

Steve

Level 1

Nicky,

You should know that LC Right Management is sold by the number of receipents that use the form. The following tiers are used. 

LiveCycle Rights Management Per Recipient (100-999)

Per Recipient (1,000-4,999)

Per Recipient (5,000+)

You may also want to know that many people do not understand the EULA restictions for Acrobat Pro Extended forms.  If a company owns 1 Acrobat Pro, they can create Reader Extended forms for 500 Named Users.  Owning more than one copy of Acrobat Pro does not extend or increase the number of named users you can allow to use a form.

To use a Reader Extended form with more than 500 named users you need to by an Adobe LiveCyle Reader Extention license.  This license can be purchased by the Document or by the Receipent.  I cannot provide pricing information in the forum.  I hope this information helps you.

Regards,  Steve Luke

Former Community Member

Thank you Steve and Steve!

This info is exactly what I was after and will help us decide whether or not to look into this solution further.

Thanks again

Nicky