Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

incremental number field in a form

Level 2

Hi all!

Do you know if there is a way to insert an auto incremental numerical field in a form?

I've realized a form to distibute via e-mail and would like that each different forwarded and filled form could be numbered with a different, incremental number.

Thanks. Have a nice day.

Luca

3 Replies

Former Community Member

You woudl need an external source (liek a database) to hold the number and issue a new one when requested. Alternatively you could generate a random number using the time functions that woudl give a unique number but it woudl not be in sequence.

paul

Level 2

Ok good. It'll be the first time I try to connect ot a DB.

I'll try.

Am I correct creating a simple DB (excel, access) just with the sequence of numbers in a column?

Each time a user will open the form, the form itself will take the next number?

Luca

Former Community Member

before you go down that path you need to know what you are getting into.

You will have to create a DSN on each machine that will open the form to be able to access the DB.

The Users will have to be on teh same network as the machine that houses the DB.

This would be for Wndows users only

If you intend on using Reader you wil lhave to Reader Extend the form to allow for this functionality as it is not there by default. This woudl mean a server license for Reader Extensions.

Are you sure you want to proceed?

Paul