Expand my Community achievements bar.

Improving audio quality from a subscriber point of view

Former Community Member

Hi,

I am building an application that requires audio chat. When the chat is happening between an Android user and a PC user, the PC user can hear clearly when the Android user speaks. However, when it is the other way around, the Android user hear distorted sound,with noises. Is there any way to improve audio received from a subscriber point of view?

Please advice, thanks!

Regards

9 Replies

Employee

Did you try checking the microphone level on a PC (or making sure that another PC receives "clean" audio) ?

If that doesn't solve the problem I am wondering if  it's a "decoding" problem (slow phone, bug in the player ?). What device are you using and what version of the FlashPlayer / AIR runtime do you have on your phone ?

If you can send us some sample code that reproduce the problem we can give it a try.

Former Community Member

Hi Raff,

The Android device is a Samsung Galaxy S i9000 and it is running AIR 2.6, attached below is a snippet of the code related to the audio i am using

<mx:Button x="121" y="700" height="34" width="117" label="Audio" toggle="true" id="audioButt"

click="(audioButt.selected) ? audioPub.publish(): audioPub.stop()" includeIn="LoggedIn"/>

<mx:Button x="242" y="700" height="34" width="117" label="Quality" toggle="true" id="audioButt1" includeIn="LoggedIn"

click="(audioButt.selected) ? audioPub.microphoneManager.encodeQuality = 3 : audioPub.microphoneManager.encodeQuality = 4"/>

<rtc:AudioPublisher  id="audioPub" codec="{SoundCodec.SPEEX}" useEchoSuppression="true" silenceLevel="0"  />

<rtc:AudioSubscriber/>

I think the problem is related to the script I am writing,I created a button  called Quality to reduce the encodeQuality of my PC microphone, will it helps to improve the audio recieved from my Android device?Please advice, thanks!

Regards

Level 1

Can you record the audio that is trasmitted from the PC ? This will help us to decide if this is a problem in the PC or Android.

Former Community Member

Hi,

I think I have identified the issue...it should be device problem...Apparently every other Android device works perfectly( I have tested on HTC Desire, Dell Streak and Nexus One) except Samsung Galaxy S, which I still don't understand why...If anyone ever developed audio chat using LCCS on the Samsung Galaxy S, I hope to get some feedback whether they facing the same issue...

Thanks and Regards

Tan

Former Community Member

Huh, interesting to know! Thanks for reporting your findings - this will

help us with other customers in the future =).

nigel

Level 1

Not sure if this is directly related or not, but I am experiencing significant distortion of mp3 audio files (a child speaking) in my iPad app built with AIR 2.6. I have tested the audio files on the device in other apps, and can confirm that the problem is specifically with my app, not a problem with the audio file or the device. This is a critical issue for me and is preventing me from submitting my app. If you can suggest any short-term fixes, and I would greatly appreciate it.   Thanks, Adrian

Former Community Member

Hi Adrian,

Sorry, I think you're in the wrong bar =). We're all here talking about the

LiveCycle Collaboration Service, which doesn't do much for mp3s.

nigel

Level 1

No I saw that I was in Live Cycle, but I also noted that the conversation was about developing audio applications for mobile using Flash or AIR-based tech, an that the audio was distorted on the device (I am presuming Live Cycle is Flash/AIR based--maybe I was mistaken). I did not realize that Live Cycle had no mp3 support, but I don't think the problem is associated with the file format, since I expect the device is doing the decoding (or at least it should be).   Anyway, if you have any thoughts I would certainly appreciate them--you are much more responsive than employees manning the Adobe AIR forums. Otherwise I will repost in those forums.   Thanks, Adrian

Former Community Member

Yeah, unfortunately you'll have to head over to the AIR forums. Sorry about

that.

nigel