Expand my Community achievements bar.

Importing XML Automatically into a PDF

Level 1

Okay...this is probably a really dumb request but I can't sort it out for the life of me.

I have a form, created in LiveCycle ES, that is populated by and XML file. No problem there so far,

it works as required. However when I put it, and the xml file, on a shared drive and get one of my colleagues

to take a look the form, in Reader, it is empty and the user has to go to Manage Data and pour the XML back in again.

I'd like to avoid this stage and have the XML load into the form when it opens. Unfortunately I don't know how to get there.

I'm sure I'll need to buy, yet another, add on to make this work but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone out there has a

solution to the problem before I 'splash the cash'.

Your help will be most appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

Users with Reader cannot import or export XML data into a XFA form. Summary here: Using LiveCycle Forms in Acrobat and Reader

Niall

Level 1

Hi Niall,

Thanks for the response. I was aware that the user couldn't import/export data, in the normal scheme of things, if they only had Reader which is why I wanted to do it for them with something like xfa.host.importData(""); on docReady.....or something like that. In other words when the open the PDF in reader it populates with the latest data from my xml file. It sounds from what you are saying though that not only does Reader not have the 'options' to import data it also does not have the 'functionality' either. Is that right?

Cheers

Paul

Level 10

Hi Paul,

That's right, a scripted import XML will not work either, in our experiences.

Reader has the functionality; however it can only be unlocked if the form is enabled using the full reader extensions in the LiveCycle Reader Extensions ES2 server product.

Sorry, but I think you are stuck,

Niall

Level 1

Doh!

There's three days down the toilet then! Never mind, at least I gave it a go.

Thanks for your help Niall.

Cheers

Paul