Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Importing Excel Data into Designer Form

Level 2

I have developed a dynamic form in Livecycle designer that will be sent out to hundreds of schools throughout Nebraska.  There is a table within this form that has buttons to add or delete a row so that mutilple students' informtion can be entered into this table. The way I have the form set up now will work perfect for most schools, however; with larger schools that will need to enter over 200 different lines of information, this will be an unessarily long task.  Most of these schools already have the information that we are requesting in an Excel file.  Is it possible for an end-user of this form, using adobe reader, to import excel data into the table?

-Susann Wenzl

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

It is possible but you might find it more trouble that what it is worth.

1. You would have to manipulate the Spreadsheet to make it look like a DB

2. You would have to set up an ODBC connection on the system that is running the form and the spreadsheet..

3. You would have to modify the definition in the form to point to the SpreadSheet

4. You would have to Reader Extend the form using LiveCYcle Reader Extensions to allow the ODBC conection to happen in Reader.

Paul

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

It is possible but you might find it more trouble that what it is worth.

1. You would have to manipulate the Spreadsheet to make it look like a DB

2. You would have to set up an ODBC connection on the system that is running the form and the spreadsheet..

3. You would have to modify the definition in the form to point to the SpreadSheet

4. You would have to Reader Extend the form using LiveCYcle Reader Extensions to allow the ODBC conection to happen in Reader.

Paul

Level 2

Okay, so I had to have one of our programmers come over and translate your response to me. He further explained the process, and it will be more trouble than it is worth. Thanks for your help.

Susann K. Wenzl

Curriculum, Instruction, and Innovation Team

Nebraska Department of Education

301 Centennial Mall South

Lincoln, NE 68508

Phn: 402-471-6692

Fax: 402-471-0117

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----