Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

If radio button is selected then X field is required code

Level 3

I am trying to figure out how to code a field to become required when a user selects a radio button or something from a drop down list.  what I am trying to do really is figure out how I can setup a variable inside the required syntax and figure out where the required syntax actually is inside say a radio button as currently I can't find it.  I could setup the function to be called when the radio button is selected and from there the function can change it to required or not required depending on selection.  I hope this makes sense and thank you in advance for the help.

Justin

2 Replies

Former Community Member

Justin,

Take a look at the attached. It contains script to check both a radio button exclusion group and a drop-down to request form fill on a text field. Each script is attached to the exit event of the relevant text field.

Steve

Level 3

Hello Steve,

Thank you very much for the reply.  I am uploading the form I am working with and a screen shot of what I am trying to do.  I've figured out that "<validate nullTest="error"/>" is added to an object when i change it to "user required".  I really like how adobe handles this error and stops all other processes and want to use this method.  My questions is this.  How to store "<validate nullTest="error"/>" well I mean i can store it using something like:

var required = <validate nullTest="error"/> or something like that depending on how adobe handles syntax which I'm still a little shaky on.

BUT how can I place this variable inside of the syntax of the object to make sure it is read before moving on to the next line of code?   I was thinking of a function to check for diffferent cases of an object as there are different objects i want to check to see if they equal "1" or !=NULL or something along those lines.

function checkValue()

{

if (object1.rawValue == "1")

{

required = <validate nullTest="error"/>;

break;

}//end if

if (object2.rawValue == "Y")

{

required = <validate nullTest="error"/>;

break;

}//end if

}//end checkValue

I really really appreciate your help with your last response and I could use the first method though what happens is that even though the error comes up I'm still able to email the form and I want the email process to stop altogether so it forces the required field to be populated with data.

I need something like:

<script contentType="application/x-javascript">

if (RadioLocation.rawValue == "1")

{

document.write(<

validate nullTest="error"/>);

}

</

script>

But I can't figure out how it is supposed to work inside of the code exactly.

Justin