Expand my Community achievements bar.

I understand the "presence" options, but I want the field to be visible on the screen and only the data entered into the field to be visible when printed. I don't want the "sunken box" to print and I can't find a way to do that.

Former Community Member

Please help - this has frustrated me for years.  I want the field to show as a sunken box on screen so user know the field is there, but when the form is printed, I only want the inputted data to print - not the sunken box outline around the data.   I've tried every combination of appearance and presence combinations.  Thank you for any help you can provide!!!

4 Replies

Level 1

Don't know if you ever got this figured out. I know how to do this if you are still interested.

Level 1

Tell us.

Would you have one field over the top of another and make the bottom field screen only and the top field have an apprearance of none?

Level 1

This is assuming your users will be using Acrobat Reader to fill the form.

This will not allow you to use the 'Sunken Box' property but it will show the form filler that there is a field that needs to be filled in. In LiveCycle in the TextField properties, under the Object > Field tab, set appearance to 'None'. On the Border tab, set Edges to 'None' and Background Fill to 'None'. Save the Form. Open the Form with Acrobat (not Reader). Go to 'File' > 'Save as Other'. Choose 'Reader Extended PDF' > 'Enable More Tools (includes form fill in and save)...'. Now open the form with Adobe Acrobat Reader. Go to 'Edit' > 'Preferences...' Under the Categories pane select 'Forms'. Make sure the box is checked by 'Show border hover color for fields'. This will show the TextField on the form letting the user know that it's there, but it will only print what was entered into the Text Box.

I am using LiveCycle ES4, Adobe Acrobat DC and Reader DC.

I would think as good as this software is, they would have an easier way to accomplish this. If there is, I haven't figure it out.

Level 1

This seems to have the same effect as clicking 'Highlight Existing Fields'. Is that button not available on all readers? I'll bear that in mind.

Highlight button.jpg