Expand my Community achievements bar.

How to use Reader Extensions - or do I need Livecycle?

Level 1

I'll start with saying that I am totally new to Livecycle. I've downloaded a demo of Designer to see if it helps with some of the processes I am currently doing in Acrobat.

The only tool I really NEED from Livecycle is the ability to have the end user attach a file in Reader. This would be managers attaching supporting documents for employee evaluations.

I've found that this can be done with Read Extensions but I have no idea how to enable my form to use these or how to even start.

Where can I get a tutorial for this process OR is this more than I need to be doing JUST to have attachments enabled in Reader.

Thanks!

2 Replies

Level 6

Reader users can attach files as comments, either to an AcroForm or a static XFA form. The type of attachments you're asking about can only be enabled in Reader with LiveCycle Reader Extensions, which is entirely different than LiveCycle Designer and costs quite a bit more. The only other place you can get it is through DataLogics with their Adobe PDF Java Toolkit: http://www.datalogics.com/products/pdf/pdfjt/

See if attaching files as comments is sufficient though. An alternative would be for the managers to use Acrobat. Standard is sufficient.

Level 7

LiveCycle Designer cannot reader extend a document, you need the LiveCycle server product to do this.