Expand my Community achievements bar.

How to send a form created with liveCycle in PDF

Level 1

Hi,

I have Acrobat 9. I created a form that I put online in pdf. A client can compile this module with acrobat reader but on send the format used by acrobat reader is .xml. How can I use pdf and not xml?

Thanks to all than can answer me!

10 Replies

Level 3

I do not know what version of Livecycle you are using but I use Livecycle Designer 8.0.

To solve your problem in my version of the program, you:

• use a Button (not an "Email Submit Button")
  • choose "Submit" as "Control Type" on the Field palette, then the Submit palette becomes available
  • on the Submit pallette, you choose "PDF" from the drop down list beside "Submit as"
  • type in "mailto:" with the email address in the "Submit to URL" box

Hope this helps

Former Community Member

I have been able to have the full pdf sent as an email attachment on our network where we all have Outlook 2007.

I want to have the form availlable on website but wondering what happens if the person filling out the form does not have an email client on their PC? Lots of people using webmail now (hotmail, yahoo, etc) what happens in this case?

(I don't have a computer without an email client)

Level 3

I will be out of the office starting 12/03/2010 and will not return until

22/03/2010.

I will respond to your message when I return 22 March 2010. For urgent

matters please contact Paul Humphreys.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

The information contained in this email is intended for the named recipient(s)

only. It may contain private, confidential, copyright or legally privileged

information. If you are not the intended recipient or you have received this

email by mistake, please reply to the author and delete this email immediately.

You must not copy, print, forward or distribute this email, nor place reliance

on its contents. This email and any attachment have been virus scanned. However,

you are requested to conduct a virus scan as well. No liability is accepted

for any loss or damage resulting from a computer virus, or resulting from a delay

or defect in transmission of this email or any attached file. This email does not

constitute a representation by the NSW Police Force unless the author is legally

entitled to do so.

Level 1

Well... I executed all of your instructions but the button seems is not activated. It activates only if the type of data is xml.

Why??

Thanks for your answer

Level 3

I will be out of the office starting 12/03/2010 and will not return until

22/03/2010.

I will respond to your message when I return 22 March 2010. For urgent

matters please contact Paul Humphreys.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

The information contained in this email is intended for the named recipient(s)

only. It may contain private, confidential, copyright or legally privileged

information. If you are not the intended recipient or you have received this

email by mistake, please reply to the author and delete this email immediately.

You must not copy, print, forward or distribute this email, nor place reliance

on its contents. This email and any attachment have been virus scanned. However,

you are requested to conduct a virus scan as well. No liability is accepted

for any loss or damage resulting from a computer virus, or resulting from a delay

or defect in transmission of this email or any attached file. This email does not

constitute a representation by the NSW Police Force unless the author is legally

entitled to do so.

Level 3

Hi Blake_d

I am not sure what would happen without an email client on your computer...I don't have a computer without one either....but the user should be able to save the form (assuming you have "Enabled" the form so that Reader users can use it) anyway.  Then they can copy it and attach the form to an email when available.

Level 3

Hi angeloulivieri

I am not sure why the button is not activating.  I can't recreate your problem to work out why that might happen. Maybe double check your email address in the Submit URL box is valid and make sure you are using just a "Button" object with Submit as the Control type.

If this doesn't help, could you please post more info about the problem so I can try to work it out for you.

Level 3

Hi again angeloulivieri

I have also found this information in another post...maybe you could try this and see if this solution works better for you.

Re: Emailing a fillable form in PDF format -

In Adobe LiveCycle Designer 8.0:
Click on your email submit button. Click on the XML Source tab (if you can't see it, click on View-->XML. You will see this line of code:
<event activity="click">
<submit format="xml" textEncoding="UTF-8" target="mailto:"/>
</event>
Change the "xml" to "pdf".

Level 1

I'm not sure if you are still looking for an answer, but I was having the same thing.

The problem was that I was not going to "Distribute Form"

Instead, I was just saving the file which came back as an xml, when submitted.

Former Community Member

Sending PDFs without an Email Client Software installed needs to be handled at the server. Using a Microsoft .net web server, and SMTP host, you can send e-mail with PDFEmail.net. PDFEmail.net doesn't require Adobe Acrobat or Reader installed on the server, and works on remote and local web servers with access to a local or remote SMTP user account. PDFEmail.net doesn't require programming knowledge, just upload the scripts and the libraries to your webserver application root, and point the Submit URL action to the script.

For more information, and online demonstrations, please visit:

http://www.pdfemail.net/

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

Nick K.

http://www.nk-inc.com/