Expand my Community achievements bar.

How to make a text field wrap to next page

Level 1

I've done my best to find the solution to my problem before coming here to post, so forgive me if I've missed a previously posted solution.

I am a .NET coder, using iText to manipulate PDF's.  I need to create a template for a corporate invoice that will allow me to have header and footer content on a page, surrounding the invoice detail section and have the invoice detail wrap to the next page as necessary.

Criteria:  All pages have the invoice header.  All pages have the invoice footer with pagination (i.e. Page 1 of n).  The number of pages is controlled by the number fo lines in the invoice detail text field.

For example, if the text field holds 30 lines and each line item takes up a single line.  An invoice with 25 line items would only use one page.  If the invoice has 35 line items, the content in the text area needs to flow to page 2 in the invoice detail area.

I have tried every combination I can dream up in Adobe LiveCycle Designer and I cannot get a document set up that will flow from page 1 to page 2.

For me to be able to access invoice detail field in code, it appears that it needs need to be a Text Field.  I've been able to access the fields from my .NET code and fill them in without issue.

What I cannot get is a template that will allow me to put more content in the detail area than fits on page one and have it automatically create a second page and flow the content into the detail area.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or provide a working sample PDF?

I.e.

PAGE 1:

MY COMPANY

ADDRESS

INVOICE #20

---------------------------------

Line item #1

Lilne item #1 detail

Line item #2

Line item #2 detail <from here, detail must flow to the detail section of the next page>

Page 1 of 2

PAGE 2:

MY COMPANY

ADDRESS

INVOICE #20

---------------------------------

Line item #3

Lilne item #3 detail

Line item #4

Line item #4 detail

Page 2 of 2

5 Replies

Level 8

There are samples that come with designer:  C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe LiveCycle Workbench ES31\Designer 10.0\EN\Samples\Forms\Purchase Order\Dynamic Interactive\Forms

Level 1

While I appreciate the direction to the samples, that is not resolving my issue.  I had already seen the samples before I posted in this forum.

None of the samples have what I've requested assistance with above.

I need a static 3" header, a 5" content area and a 1" footer on every page in a document.  I want to be able to put content in the content area and have it wrap to subsequent pages if the content is more than will fit in the area.  Each subsequent page must also have the 3" header, 5" content area and 1" footer.

This will not be edited in Acrobat, it will be edited in .NET code without human intervention, so having click buttons to add another row to a table is not an option.

I could create the entire PDF programmatically, but I'm seeking to find if Adobe LiveCycle Designer can make the PDF form in an easy to use GUI.

If the details of my need above do not provide a clear requirement, feel free to point that out.

Level 1

I will assume that the fact I'm listening to crickets chirp means that what I want is not possible in a PDF form.

Level 1

Did you ever find a solution to this?

Level 1

Not from Adobe.  I built my own solution in .NET, using the iText library.