Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

How to get process instance id

Former Community Member

Hi,

We are invoking a long lived process from a client using Java API (EJB end point).

We are getting the JobId in return. Is there a way to get the process instance Id through API.

Searched a lot in the documentation. Finally inclining to query the table directly

TB_PROCESS_INSTANCE  on LONG_LIVED_INVOCATION_ID.

Appreciate a lot if any expert point us to an API way of doing the same

7 Replies

Former Community Member

See http://help.adobe.com/en_US/livecycle/9.0/programLC/javadoc/index.html

com.adobe.idp.taskmanager.dsc.client.query

interface ProcessInstanceRow

getProcessInstanceId() retrieves a unique identifier for the process instance

Steve

Former Community Member

Thanks Steve.

How do we get the ProcessInstanceRow from JobId / Invocation id.

We are looking to obtain the process isntance right after invoking a processw.

Former Community Member

We have tried to use the following approach to get process instance id right after invoking a process.

- Define an OUT process variable to contain process id

- A set value step right after invocation sets this out variable with process id variable value which is available by default

- InvocationResponse.getOutputParameters() to read the output variable

The problem is in the map returned by getOutputParameters() is not having our output variable , but just the JobId.

Anyone tried this before? Are we missing sometiing?

Any expert help is highly appreciated..

Level 10

You get a job id because the process is long lived (asynchronous). So we return a job id because we don't know when it going to terminate (it could take days if you use a user service).

You can use the Job Manager to check the status of your job. See http://help.adobe.com/en_US/livecycle/9.0/programLC/javadoc/com/adobe/idp/jobmanager/service/JobMana....

The function getStatus will tell you if it's completed. When it'completed, you can use getResponse to get the value of the process variables.

If you process is short lived, you'll get the result after you call since it's a synchronous call.

Jasmin

Former Community Member

Hi Jasmin,

Can you please answer my following questions for my understanding:

1. What is the difference between invocation id, job id and process id? What is the significance of each in a long lived process?

2. When should I use JobManager and TaskManager API?

3. If I just need a functionality where I keep track of the tasks assigned to different users in a process then what will be required..job id or process id?

4. Assume that I have a screen that shows me all the forms that are inputs to a process but are assigned to different users in the process which is long lived. So in other words, the screen will have two columns..column1: Form and column 2: Status

Column1 will show how many forms are currently floating in the process. And status will tell that whether the form is assigned to some user or is it done with the process. In this example which is called process instance or process id? And what is the job id in this scenario?

Thanks!

Level 2

We have a requirement which reads that " As one of a group of people who are submitting comments on a form, I want to see comments made on the form by others before I submit my comments".

I wonder if I can get TaskResultCollection info from the "Assign multiple Tasks" operation using xpath?

If I do JAVA API?? Can anybody offer some pointers?

Thanks a lot.

Sam

Level 1

Hi All,

Are you able to get retrieve the ProcessInstanceID from the processSearch(filter) method with the filter set to invocation id. I am doing something as below using the long lived invocation id

processSearchFilter.addCondition(ProcessSearchingConstants.pINVOCATION_ID, Operator.EQUALS, "16876887a102aca157d201e76c760f17");

I am not getting any results back, is this correct. any pointers please.

Thanks

Shjyju