Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

How to force alpha or numeric inside text fields - LiveCycle Designer 9.0

Former Community Member

I am creating a form that requires City, State and Zip.  I need to make sure that users do not put City, State and Zip into the City field; which someone so nicely pointed out to me as a problem with the form.  Anyway, what I am looking for is a way to force the user to only be able to enter alpha characters into the City text field.  I had glanced at the "Validation Patterns" OOTB functionality but I could not find anything listed that would complete the requirement.

Thank you,

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

You can use regular expressions in the change:event of the textfield to limit the characters that can be typed in.

Will allow only digits and the characters A-Z and a-z

if (xfa.event.newText.match(/[^A-Za-z0-9]/))      

{

xfa.event.change = "";

}

View solution in original post

16 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

You can use regular expressions in the change:event of the textfield to limit the characters that can be typed in.

Will allow only digits and the characters A-Z and a-z

if (xfa.event.newText.match(/[^A-Za-z0-9]/))      

{

xfa.event.change = "";

}

Former Community Member

Thank you very much for the quick response to this question.  I used your example and tweaked it just a little to make it allow only alpha characters and then to convert to upper case.  The result that worked was this.

if

(xfa.event.newText.match(/[^A-Za-z]/))

{

xfa.event.change

= "";

}

xfa.event.change

= xfa.event.change.toUpperCase();

Thank you again for your help.

Former Community Member

I did run into one issue in the fact that I cannot add a space now to allow for City names that have more than one word.  What can I add to allow this space in the field?

Thank you,

Level 10

Adding a space to the regualar expression will do the trick.

if (xfa.event.newText.match(/[^A-Za-z0-9 ]/))     

{

xfa.event.change = "";

}

Level 3

this code won't work with my dynamic xml form. Is there a different code to make this work for dynamic xml forms? This works only if my form is saved as a static pdf.

Level 2

Hey,

How do i avoid space as my first character? I'd want to restrict user from entering space as my first charcter in a text field.

Thanks,

Radhika

Level 2

Actually want to avoid special characters(including space) at my first character.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Radhika

Level 2

Hi,

I was able to achieve this with the below in my change event:

if(xfa.event.newText.charAt(0).match(/[ `~!@#$%^&*()-_={}|:;."<>,\\\[\]]/g))    

{

xfa.event.change = "";

}

But the above restricts numeric also from entering at first position i am assuming this is happening cuz im using chartAt() which probably checks only for string.

I need the user to enter either alphabet or numeric at my first character.

Please Help.

Level 10

this should do the trick.

if (!xfa.event.newText.charAt(0).match(/[a-zA-Z0-9]/g)) {

xfa.event.change = "";

}

Level 2

I did try the code above few days back and it did not work

It did today!

I am writing the below in the exit event too, cuz the above code holds good only when the user is typing.

if (!xfa.this.rawValue.charAt(0).match(/[a-zA-Z0-9]/g)) { 

this.rawValue = null;

xfa.host.setFocus(this);

}

Thanks a lot radzmar!

Level 5

Hi all,

I'm using the script below to force numbers only for a phone number field, but it allows the user to press the parentheses and dash characters into the field, perhaps related to auto-fill on the field.  Is there any way of preventing this?

if (xfa.event.newText.match(/[^0-9]/)) {

xfa.event.change = "";

}

Level 5

Hi all,

In addition to my question above, I have another:  I have an e-mail field where all users will be entering the same domain after the "@".  Is there a way to automatically replace the "@" with "@domain.com"?  I have used the code below (and other variations of it, using quotation marks, etc.) and haven't been able to make it work:

if (xfa.event.newText.match(/[@]/))  {

xfa.event.change = "@domain.com";

}

Great appreciate any help!

Level 10

You can use something like:

if (xfa.event.newText.match(/[\ba-zA-Z0-9._-]+@{1}/g))  {

}

Level 5

Thanks, Radzmar, it works!  But there's one little issue -- if I press the Backspace key to make a correction, or even type in any other letters, it adds another "@domain.com" with every keystroke.  The only way I have found to get around it is to manually select the entire portion containing all the ampersands and then press Delete.  Any way to solve that?

Level 5

I figured it out!  It just needs to be like this:

//replace @ with "@domain.com"

if (xfa.event.change == "@") {

}

So it will generate the suffix string only when you press "@", and it allows corrections without duplication, etc.