Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

How to disable email option when creating a form

Level 2

I am creating a pdf flyer in either Pro or LiveCycle. And I want to provie a space for people to enter their personal information (form fields).

I want them to be able to save this and print it. I don't want to give them a submit option (to send via email). (So I will be "distributing" the form - and I can't Distribute without providing an email.)

I know I can remove the Submit button from the form, but even when there is no Submit Button, when you open the form in READER (which most will be using), Reader itself provides an option to Submit form.  How do I prevent this??

Or, is there any way to create a fillable form that will allow others to save without "distributing" the form? I am thinking the "distributing" is what is causing the email to be linked to the form.

I hope I have explained this well. Any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

You have a point, if your users are filling the form in with Reader, they won't be able to save the data with the form unless the form has been "Reader Extended" (which enables this functionality in Reader for the particular form)

If you have Acrobat Pro, you can "extend" the form before you send it to the users.  The following is from the Acrobat Pro help...

Enable Reader users to save form data

Ordinarily, Reader users can’t save filled-in copies of forms that they complete. However, you can extend rights to Reader users so they have the ability to do so. These extended rights also include the ability to add comments, use the Typewriter tool, and digitally sign the PDF.

1. Open a single PDF, or select one or more PDFs in a PDF Portfolio.
   2. Choose Advanced > Extend Features In Adobe Reader.

These extended privileges are limited to the current PDF. When you create a different PDF form, you must perform this task again if you want to enable Reader users to save their own filled-in copies of that PDF.

Regards

Steve

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Former Community Member

Do you want the users to send (submit) the electronic version of the form or data back to you?  If not, design the form without the submit button and send it to them "manually", just write an e-mail and attach the PDF to the e-mail like you would any other document.  Don't use the "Distribute Form" functionality.

Regards

Steve

Level 2

No, I do not want the form submitted to me. I am using form functionality to make it easy for people to add their own info (many do not know how to add text to a pdf).

I understand what you are saying...but I am kind of new to this. I thought if I didn't actually "distribute" the form, the user would not be able to save the form after they have filled it out.???

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

You have a point, if your users are filling the form in with Reader, they won't be able to save the data with the form unless the form has been "Reader Extended" (which enables this functionality in Reader for the particular form)

If you have Acrobat Pro, you can "extend" the form before you send it to the users.  The following is from the Acrobat Pro help...

Enable Reader users to save form data

Ordinarily, Reader users can’t save filled-in copies of forms that they complete. However, you can extend rights to Reader users so they have the ability to do so. These extended rights also include the ability to add comments, use the Typewriter tool, and digitally sign the PDF.

1. Open a single PDF, or select one or more PDFs in a PDF Portfolio.
   2. Choose Advanced > Extend Features In Adobe Reader.

These extended privileges are limited to the current PDF. When you create a different PDF form, you must perform this task again if you want to enable Reader users to save their own filled-in copies of that PDF.

Regards

Steve

Level 2

Excellent!! I think that is exactly what I was looking for.

For the form I need to do today, I can do in Pro and try this out.

But I am guessing I can also create a form from scratch in LiveCycle and open it up in Pro and do the same thing?

Thanks again!

Former Community Member

Yes, you can design the form with LiveCycle Designer, save it as PDF and then use Acrobat Pro to "extend" it.

Regards

Steve

Level 2

I just tested adding a field to a pdf and extending it and everything worked exactly as needed!

My user can fill out the form and save it and I don't have that pesky Submit showing up in Reader!! Thanks for the info on LiveCycle since some of my forms I create from scratch.

Thank you for your help - I had spent quite a bit of time searching and coudn't find anything on this.

Former Community Member

I was looking for the exact thing here. However, by "extending" and not "distribute" will the 500 limitation still applies? another word, if there are more than 500 people trying to save this form, will anyone beyond 500 be able to save?

Level 10

Yes.

There is no "counter" that will make the form stop working after 500.

It's enforced by the EULA.

Jasmin

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----