Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

How to Deal with a Large Form

Former Community Member

Hello all. I have created a very large form using LiveCycle, which utilizes quite a bit of scripting. Unfortunately, as more and more data is added, the form becomes slower and slower, to the point where a user spends more time waiting than actually filling out the form. This is clearly unacceptable, so I'm looking to remedy this. One thought I had was to split the form up into several sections (the format of the form allows this without trouble). I have a few concerns related to this. First, for the people processing the form on the receiving end, processing several forms instead of one is several times as much work and several times as much of a hassle. Second, it is clearly less convenient to distribute several forms than it is to distribute one, so if I were to do this I would be looking for a way to bundle them together (perhaps a PDF Portfolio?). Third, for ease of use I would want to find some way that a user could simply click on a link (or button or whatever) to move on to the second form after finishing the first. If there were some way to combine the separate parts back together after they had been filled out and submit them as one entity, that would seem to solve the first problem, but I have no idea how one might go about doing that. As I mentioned perhaps a PDF Portfolio is the solution to my second question, but I've never worked with those and don't know if they would be suitable. Of course, if there was a way to speed up this form directly that would solve all of these problems in one fell swoop. If anyone is willing to take a look at this form I'd be glad to e-mail it to them (I don't feel comfortable posting it in a public location at the moment).

Thank you all very much.

===========================================

Update: I just read a different post below about the "remerge" command causing a form to slow down. I used xfa.form.recalculate(1) all over the place in my form. Is it possible this is causing the slowdown?

2 Replies

Former Community Member

Send the form to LiveCycle8@gmail,com and I will have a look when I get a chance.

Paul