Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

How to deal with 5000 conexions limits in one room?

Level 2

Hi,

I know that each room has a limitation of 5000 users conected at same time.

And i need to manage several chats and collaborative meetings in my app. I need my app to be abled to managed far more than 5000 users at a time.

Maybe i don't use LCCS correctly, but i did not found out how to do it another way.

I have a web application which combine several private one to one visio chat rooms, several only text one to several chat rooms, and a visio conference (congress) one to many.
And in my application, i can't assume that every chat host is online during the whole event. So i use a room (common to all visitors) to detect when a chat host get online and alert all users in real time that this chat host has got online ready to chat.
I could use update scripts based on timers, but its far less elegant than using real time protocols.

So in a single LCCS room, i have several real "chat rooms" which i seperate using the publisherIDs and recipientIDs properties.

So there's several issues that i face with LCCS if i need to use several separated LCCS rooms to manage all that:
- how can i exchange real time changes informations between every visitors without being connected to the same unique LCCS room? (to avoid the timer solution)
- how can i avoid the quite long connection time to LCCS rooms if i create a room for every private chat room, every conference room etc. Whenever a user change chat host, he will get the long connection time. It is not a good user experience.
- how can i manage a big video conference in real time, when more than 5000 visitors are watching it? and be aware that it may have interactions that the conference speaker can do and propagate to every watcher: force to show a specific image for example.

For the first two points, using a single LCCS room for everything, get this difficulties away.

Thanks in advance for your advises.

4 Replies

Level 2

Hi,

No idea for my issue?

- Theres no way to connect different rooms so that they share real time informations between users in all rooms?

- There's no way to avoid the quite long connection time to a lccs room?

- Is LCCS not able to manage several collaborative services without being limited by the 5000 peak connections?

- Am i condamned to use another techonlogy such as Red5 server, to do that, and i can't use all power LCCs can offer me?

LCCS is very great tool, but if i can't deploy it without limitation of 5000 connections, it is sadly limited and unable to be integrated in real big webapp.

Thanks

Regards.

Former Community Member

Hi Sebastien,

First of all, apologies for the long lead-time here. We've been pushing to a new release here, and things have been hectic, so major architecture discussions have suffered as a result.

So, the 5000 user limit is real for a room. This is the most we're allowing, because over-trafficking one room centralizes that traffic on one machine, and can lead to a lot of CPU comsumption. Spreading traffic over several rooms allows many servers to be involved, and more evenly make use of the cluster. Load-balancing is important to the health of the service.

To answer some of your questions :

:: Yes, you can spread information from room to room, by using the server-to-server APIs. This involves listening to a given room with an HTTP server, then sending messages to any other room you want via that server. It's relatively low-latency, and works quite well. However, this doesn't apply to Audio/Video streaming.

:: How long a connection time are you experiencing? For myself, it's rare that this takes any longer than 4 seconds. Are you seeing something different?

:: We currently don't allow more than 5000 subscribers in a room, so you won't be able to have more than that number of people watching a single video stream.

Hope that's helpful - we hate having limits too, but sometimes these are facts of life.

nigel

Level 2

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I understand, you must be busy with new release.

I thought first that the cloud architecture could manage growth of room's trafic without limitations. Too bad it does not.

I saw some FMS server providers who says that they have no connections limitations, thats also why i did not understand the limitation of LCCS which is based on FMS if im not wrong.

Would you say that it is a FMS server limitation?

"Yes, you can spread information from room to room"

I'll try to use server 2 server api to manage a virtual room of more than 5000 users. Did someone already tried this? I'm amazed that no one is also complaining about it in forums...

Maybe it would be great feature to give a transparent system which could do that for users, breaking the 5000 connections limitations on the api side.

"However, this doesn't apply to Audio/Video streaming."

Thats not very important for me, because i use audio/video streaming in private small groups (when not peer to peer) and if i do a big audiance video conference, i use a FMS server instead, wich i think has not that limitation (do you confirm? )

"For myself, it's rare that this takes any longer than 4 seconds."

I don't have long lasting connection times, but even 4 seconds can be considered quite long, when you need to connect several times during same app use.

Why does it take so "long"?

Thanks

Regards,

Seb

Former Community Member

Hi Seb,

The providers you mention are likely referring to the number of connections

they're charging you for - in other words, they're charging you a flat fee

independent of number of connections - they're not necessarily saying FMS

supports unlimited connections.

The reason connections take the time they do (4 seconds can easily be

buried, IMO), is that they need to be load-balanced to an appropriate FMS