Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

How do I submit my form as PDF in email?

Level 1

I just completed a PDF form with a Submit by email button, I was able to set the email id but when i press Submit by Email button, it attaches an XML. How do I make LiveCycle Designer save the form as pdf and attach it to the set email id? Help please

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

Save your form in LiveCycle and then open in Professional.  Using the Advanced pull down menu choose, Extend Features in Adobe Reader. .  You'll get a warning message which includes the following note - "Once reader enabled, certain functions, certain functions such as editing document content or inserting and deleting pages will be restricted." Read so you are sure this is what you want then choose Save Now.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Level 3

Its the question that we all ask at some point.  You have to enable reader rights using Adobe Professional (8 or above).  The problem with that is that you have a limit to the number of times the form can be submitted.  Adobe does have an add on, that eliminates that limit, but it costs.

Level 1

I am using a trial version of Pro 9.

Correct answer by
Level 3

Save your form in LiveCycle and then open in Professional.  Using the Advanced pull down menu choose, Extend Features in Adobe Reader. .  You'll get a warning message which includes the following note - "Once reader enabled, certain functions, certain functions such as editing document content or inserting and deleting pages will be restricted." Read so you are sure this is what you want then choose Save Now.

Level 1

How do you enable reader rights?  Do you know what the limit is to the number of times the form can be submitted? How is the limitation measured-- by reader? timeframe?

Thanks in advance

Level 3

Open your form in Acrobat Professional.  Using the Advanced pull down menu choose, "Extend Features in Adobe Reader".  You'll get a warning message which includes the following note - "Once reader enabled, certain functions,such as editing document content or inserting and deleting pages will be restricted." Read so you are sure this is what you want then choose Save Now.  Reader rights are now enabled.

To answer your question on usage rights, I went right to the acrobate users group and copied their indepth explanation
"To summarize the EULA as it relates to enabling PDFs, you are granted permission for enabling a PDF for a maximum of 500 uses. This means that if you post a PDF enabled form on your Web site and 500 people fill out the form, you're within the licensing agreement. If you enable a form where more than 500 people fill out and submit the form back to you, you're not complying with the licensing in the EULA. There are many uses for staying within the 500 limit. You might want to enable files used as a purchase order form, a travel expense form, a vacation leave form, etc. The form can be used by several Adobe Reader users many times, but needs to stay within the 500 use limitation.

For a huge number of appliications this new enabling feature is designed for people who don't have industrial strength needs for forms distribution that require purchase of LRES. A charity golf tournament, a small conference, a PTA event, etc. are all likely candidates for using the new enabling features in Acrobat Professional."

Level 1

Hi HarrisFR,

Could you provide me more information on who I can contact in regards to purchasing the add on you mentioned that would eliminate this issue.

Thanks so much.

Level 1

If only the above suggestion worked!

I'm using LC Designer 8 with Acrobat 8 Pro and I've done the above, enabled user rights in Pro and emailed - still sent as XML format

Bill

Level 3

Bill:

Enabling rights gives your users the ability to save your form with the information filled in.  They can then submit the form back to you filled in.  HOWEVER, you have to properly code your submit by email button to have it automatically send the form back and not just the data.

From the object library choose Button, not the submit by email button.  Once you've placed the button on the form, go to the Object tool and choose the field tab, from there under Control Type, choose submit.  Now go to the submit tab.  In the submit to url box, type "mail to: xxxxx@xxx.xxx", with the x's reprsenting the email address you want the form returned to.  Underneath that is the Submit As pull down menu.  Choose PDF as you submit as type.

Save your form.  Go back to Adobe Professional and enable user rights again.  Rights are removed once you go back into LiveCycle for editing, so you do have to re-enable them.

Hope that helps Bob.  Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Level 3

I believe its called Reader Extensions Server.  Someone else may know if that comes standard with PRO 9.0 Extended, I'm not sure.  Don't have any pricing info.

Level 1

Thanks - works beautifully.

Bill

Former Community Member

Hi,

I am facing a similar issue. I have a dynamic form created using Adobe LC 8, this forms populates the value from Server DB and displays the user a filled up form. The end user has only adobe reader 9 and requires that this form be saved and sent as an email. the end user does not fill any values into the dynamic form.

I am having Adobe 8 Pro. I tried opening the unfilled dynamic form created in LC in Adobe pro when I tried enabling the rights It gives me an error message that this form cannot be reader enabled.

Please let me know how I can reader enable this form.

Thanks,

Vidya

Level 1

Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you.

This can be due to a number of factors, basically any 'major edits' you

may have made to the form such as 'adding a background'.

Try 'save a copy' and then enable.

Bill (who is not an expert)