Level 2

Tip /
Sign in

Sign in to Community

to gain points, level up, and earn exciting badges like the new
Bedrock Mission!

Learn more

Sign in to view all badges

How can I open .pdf file from a livecycle form?

Hello,

I am creating a form with a lot of different dynamic sections and validating rules that should be filled by the end user. However some of the users do not have computers to fill out the form and I want to be able to have another NON DYNAMIC version to be opened from the pdf, printed and sent by fax to the end user.

I have both of the forms versions - static and dynamic - how can I open the static version from within the dynamic one?

Any clue would help because I don't have any clue how to do it!

Thanks,

Peter.

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

There are a few options:

• You could have a button in the form with the following Javascript
    • in the Click event have   app.openDoc("/c/temp/myDoc.pdf"); // check Acrobat Javascript reference for full options

• I think that there is a security issue with this method and therefore the PDF would need to be certified and the script run in a privileged context.

OR

• You could include the static form on the last page(s) of your dynamic form. Set the presence of these page(s) to hidden in the Object / Field tab. Then within your dynamic form pages have a button "Show Static Form" with the following Javascript:
    • in the mouseDown event have   form1.pSTATIC.presence = "visible"; //This will make the static page visible
    • in the Click event have  xfa.host.currentPage = pSTATIC.thisPage.rawValue - 1; //This will jump the user to the static page

• Lastly you could have a print button on the static form page, which will only print that page. Place an invisible numericField (called thisPage) on the static page with the following Javascript:
    • in the Layout: Ready event have   this.rawValue = xfa.layout.page(this); //This flags the page number of the static form, which may vary because of the dynamic nature of the form

• Then the print button would reference that page number, in the click event have:

xfa.host.print(1,(thisPage.rawValue -1).toString(), (thisPage.rawValue -1).toString(), 0, 1, 0, 0, 0); //Prints static page only

form1.pSTATIC.presence = "hidden"; //Automatically hides the static page after printing
xfa.host.currentPage = "0"; //Jumps the user back to page 1

I know the second option may appear more involved. But it does keep both the static and dynamic versions together in one PDF. Also if there are some fields that can be predetermined, then they can be filled in to the static form before printing (or they can be assigned to the corresponding fields in the dynamic form using the global binding).

Good luck,

Niall

Level 10

Also, if the static form looks the same as the dynamic form with everything available, I think you could do a print button that uses the prePrint event to make everything visible, print the document, then make everything invisible again.

That way you only have one form to maintain.

Hello,

Does anybody know how can I navigate through the years in Date Picker control of the Livecycle 8.2?

Thanks in Advance,

Peter.

Level 10

When the calendar is displayed, click on the year and vertical scroll bars will appear. You can navigate using that.

Paul