Expand my Community achievements bar.

How can I embed a text field inside a text object in a fillable form?

Level 1

I am a new user of LiveCycle and am slowly figuring things out.  I don't really understand any of the scripts-- thatlevel is way beyod me.  I am hoping that someone can tell me an easy way to insert a fillable text field into a text object.  I have been assigned a huge project of converting some very old Word forms into fillable PDF forms.  I have done okay with many of them, but ran into a snag with some of the form letters that our employees need to fill out.  Basically, there is a block of text (the body of the letter) in which employees will need to be able to type in a date that the recipient of the letter must respond by.  I have read up on floating fields and thought that was the solution to my problem, but it seems that floating fields are really just meant to be filled from a data source rather than having info typed into them.

Can anyone help-- I am desperate at this point. There has to be an easy way to insert a fillable text field object or a Date/Time object into a block of text so that the surrounding text will expand and contract around the length of the date entered (this is important, as many of these letters pertain to legal matters and cannot have blank spaces in them).

2 Replies

Level 7

Hi,

You can split your text object into different parts and place text fields inbetween the parts. With a little manuvering, you can make it look good.

An alternative is to place text field(s) outside the letter body (and set the visibilaty to screen only). Use these to populate the floating field.

or

script the external text fields (or the subform containing them) to be "hidden" using the "Preprint" event, then revealing them ("visible") again using the "Postprint" event.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Stephen

Level 10

Hi,

check out the "Editable Floating Fields" by John Brinkman.

http://blogs.adobe.com/formfeed?s=floater

It's a very advanced technique but it's exactlty what your're looking for.

And as the sample brings all of the neccessary scripts, you don't need to script by yourself.