Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Hover text on disabled (read only) objects?

Level 2

I have a form with lots of hover text.  Sometimes the hover text is on a text object (the questions), and sometimes the hover text is on choices in a radio group (the answers).   I have set my hover text using the accessibility tab.  My form toggles questions from disabled (read only/protected) to enabled (required/open/mandatory=error) depending on answers to previous questions.  I also "grey out" questions when they are disabled and make them white when enabled.

My problem is this:  the hover text for the questions works even when a question is disabled, but for the answers it is dependent on whether the object is enabled or not.   The desired behavior is for the hover text to work all the time, even when an answer is disabled.

Is that possible?  I suppose I could settle for them being consistent.

7 Replies

Level 2

...me too, but apparently there isn't one.   

Former Community Member

Responses on here are not fast. Most people only visit when they have a question themself.

Level 2

Thanks Steve, here's what I ended up doing.

When disabling a question, I put this in the code for the question text:

<SOM>.assist.toolTip.value = "";

And then when enabling the question:

<SOM>.assist.toolTip.value = "My tool tip text";

I also needed to leave Screen Reader Precedence set to Tool Tip for these text objects for things to function.

So now, if a question is turned off, tool tips for both the questions and the answers are also turned off.   When I later turn it on, the tool tips are also functional for both questions and answers.

Former Community Member

When I previewed my form, I saw the default tool tips of the field name. I thought that looked bad so I typed in tool tips for all the new fields. Then when I ran in the real process, those fields are Read Only and didn't display the tooltips. They are not a requirement, I just didn't want my work to go to waste. I just played with it now and they just seem not to come up on Read Only Text Fields.

When you grey out the fields, are they still left editable?

Level 2

No, when I grey them out, they are not editable.  At first, I had them read only, but found that users could still tab into the field, so now they are set to protected.

Former Community Member

I changed mine to protected and the Tooltips still don't come up. Maybe it has to do with different Acrobat versions or something.