Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.

HELP WITH XML and Duplicating Fields

Level 1

I have an access DB which I use to manage client information.  I have exported information from the DB into an "XML schema" and than embedded that into a PDF using the NEW DATA CONNECTION in livecycle design.  My objective is to map my DB fields onto the PDF using the XML schema and save it so I can return later and import the XML data into the form and hit print and have an application almost entirely filled out.  This is where my question comes in.  So on the right hand side [in livecycle designer] appears the fields from my database, Client First Name, Phone Number, etc.  I can grab and drop them onto the form no problem.  I can save the form and return to it and go to manage form data, import and select the appropriate file and the fields are filled in with the approprate data, Voila!   However, if I use one of the fields two times, say Client First Name needs to appear twice on the application, it will map without a problem, but when I go to import the data only the first field will fill in, any duplicate instance of this field is left blank even though to hover over the blank field it reads "Client First Name" or whatever the field is.  In other words the field is there, its been mapped appropriately, it just won't fill itself with the appropriate data.  How do I resolve this?  Please Help me.  This will be a turn key solution for my business and drastically cut down on dupliating data and wasting time.

5 Replies

Former Community Member

Did you bind the data to each of the Client firstname fields?

Paul

Level 1

Yes.  I've done it two ways.  I've copied the field that was already placed and pasted it, than went in to "object, binding" to make sure it was still linked to the appropriate XML Schema.  And i've also just dragged and dropped it again from the XML Schema a second time onto the form.  In both instances the "Object, binding" information was correct without me having to make changes, but i have checked and compared them the the fields that do work and they are identical.

Former Community Member

Its working fine for me ...can you post your form and data so I can see what is happening on your form?

Paul

Level 1

AHHHHAHHHHHHAAAA! I figured it out.  Its very simple like i'd imagined actually, i'm just VERY new to Livecycle design and had NO idea, but after much experimentation with things I had NO IDEA of this is what I came up with: on the object tab, go to binding, than select that little pop up box on the right that has 3 little lines and an arrow.  Select "Global" and Voila!  if a field has been dragged and dropped in twice, both instances will work, not just the first one.  Thanks Paul for offering your assistance in this one.