Expand my Community achievements bar.

Help with forms being returned

Former Community Member

I am brand new to this whole system and not even sure I am in the right area for this question.

I have created a fillable form in LiveCycle Designer ver. 8 and included a submit button.  How can I change the way the form is returned?  It currently is sent back as an xml file - I would prefer the completed form.  Any help would be appreciated.

Rick

10 Replies

Former Community Member

On the Submit button you can change what is submitted by looking at the Object palette/Submit tab. The Submit As dropdown defines what wil be sent.

Paul

Level 1

I have the same issue. Unfortunately Ithere's no  "Submit As" dropdown in version 8.2.1.4029. is there another way to get a form returned?

Many thanks for your assistance.

Former Community Member

You are probably using a predefined button (like email) from the library. Use a regular button and set it as type submit, then the submit tab and submit As becomes active.

Paul

Level 1

Thanks. But the only option is to submit it to a URL and I need it to go to an email address.

Level 1

Thanks for your patience, it's working now.

Level 1

Okay.....I am reading all of these notes on this forum and even being tech literate....this is far too confusing.  AS with everyone else, I too am trying to develop a fillable employment application.

1.  I designed the form in LiveCycle

2.  I DID change my submit button a button with "mailto"

3.  JUST LIKE everyone else, when the prospective applicant sends the application back....XML

HOW....HOW.....do you develop this form so that when the applicant fills it out and returns it....it comes back as a PDF.....moreover a PDF that was filled out on their end, and then NOT received back blank.

This should be sooooo much easier.

Thanks in Advance

If someone knows how to actually do this....would you be open to editing my file to make it work....I am traveling from East to West every week and this is frustrating.

Former Community Member

Don't use the predefined email button in Designer. This is configured to send xml data only. Instead use a regular button and on the object palette choose a type of submit. Once you do that a submit tab becomes active on the Object palette. On that submit panel, set the url to mailto:emailaddress. Then in the SubmitAs dropdown choose PDF file.

One more important thing. If you are intending on using Reader to fill out the form and email it you will have to Reader Extend the file to be able to send the PDF through email. This can be done in Acrobat by opening the file in Acrobat and choose the Advanced/Extend Features in Adobe Reader menu. This will start a wizard. Just pick the deafults and after the wizard closes save th efile and distribute that saved file.

Paul

Level 1

To Adobe....a feature request.... since it's an email button, give the user the option of having the form sent in either in XML or PDF format on this button rather than the unintuitive process of using a regular button.  Thanks.

Former Community Member

It was done that way beacuse to email the PDF required the Designer to Reader Extend the document.

Paul