Expand my Community achievements bar.

Help on filling a Table with data returned from a Web Service

Level 1

Hello All!

I have been really struggling to get this form working. Here is the scenario:

• I have a form with a field for a Purchase Order Number, which is filled by the user and they hit the Get PO Details button.
  • A webservice is called (which returns a huge amout of information) including the vendor name and address. I have dragged these fields to the form and when the form runs, they get filled correctly.
  • There is also a list of Items in a table structure.
  • I have created a table, and wrapped it in a flowable subform. Made the table row repeatable and bound the table row to the datasource and the cells in the table to the fields on the data. When I run this, nothing gets entered into the table.

Stuff I have checked:

• I have checked the web service is returning data and it does.
  • I have bound the cell, row and table every which way I can think of, but no joy
  • I have made the form flowed, the subform flowed, the table flowed, the table row repeatable, nothing.
  • I have checked the box on the button that says "Re-merge Form Data", nothing.

I have been tearing my hair out in frustration,so, any more suggestions? Maybe I need to go back to first steps, or if someone can take a look at the form, that would be fine, I can email it out.

I have been searching for any tutorials that do this step by step, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ian

NB.

Using Livecycle Designer 8.1.2.3052.1.449669

Reader rights supplied by SAP ADS

Adobe Acrobat Reader 8.1.0

5 Replies

Former Community Member

You didn't post the form .....you must do that through the web interface and not through email. It must also be a PDF and not an XDP.

Can you get a sample copy of the ouput of your web service so we can see the structure?

Thanks

Paul

Level 1

Thanks for your reply.

I tried to attach the file first time but it failed - xdp was obviously the wrong format, but it is the format I want to use.

Here is a dynamic XML PDF version.

I have also attached the output from the web service.

Cheers

Ian

Edit: You will notice that there is a Table and some Textboxes on the subform - the textboxes are just a test to check the table wasn't the problem. Only thing is, these don't work either.

Former Community Member

You can use the XDP as is ...it is just this forum that will not accept XDP format. I have already made th erequest to get it changed and we are waiting for the next software update.

There are two sets of bindings for every object on a form. DataBindings allow you to import XML and bind the nodes to the fields and Execute bindings which are used with Web Services. I used your sample XML file as an input for data bindings and got it to work the way you want by using [*] in the binding instructions to indicate that more than one node was present there. This is not possible in the Execute bindings. You can only have a one to one relationship. So I do not think you can do it the way you want.

Can you get the WS to return you the entire XML as a single parameter? If so then you could bind that parm to a hidden field, then load all of the XML into the DataDom and use Data Bindings that do support what you are trying to do. I have included a sample that shows the table being filled the way you want using data binding.

You shoudl contact support and get an enhancement logged to get the WS bindings to act the same way.

Hope that helps

Paul

Level 1

OK, that explains the problem uploading the XDP!

Well, that seems quite an oversight to not support multiple items from a WS. I will have to go through SAP to log such a request for an enhancement.

I will have a play with the WS - I guess my function that returns the data will have to append it all to one item. And then do some tricks in the Javascript.

Thanks for your replys... so far! I may have more questions to ask!

Level 1

Hi everybody,

I'm learning AdobeForms now since a few days and I also try to put XML data from a webservice into a table. But there's always only the first row filled with data although the webservice delivers 4 rows of XML content. So I read this thread and now I'm asking myself if this is still not possible with Adobe LiveCycle Designer? I use 8.2 and I made it work with a local XML file, but not with the response from my webservice. It that still an open point?

Thanks

Anika