Expand my Community achievements bar.

Getting from Adobe Illustrator to Livecycle....yes/no?

Level 4

EDIT: I just found another thread on this issue: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2101841#2101841 I guess it is "possible", but an "easy" import just isn't going to happen. Thanks!

I'm comping a form in Adobe Illustrator. I was figuring I'd just have to recreate it from scratch once I get approval, but now I thought I'd ask the community for their tips.

In my comp, I have tried exporting the AI file as a pdf, and then importing that into LCThe actual text is the only usable thing. I'm using images (screen grabs cropped in Photoshop) for radio buttons, drop down lists, checkboxes and the like, and vector rectangles for text fields. All these come in as useless, blank images, which I guess I can understand.

Is there some way to cut down on development time? I've got the full Adobe Productions Suite, so I could go to other programs if that route would be possible. Has anyone done this before?

Thanks,

Graham

1 Reply

Level 10

Hi Graham,

It can be done, but it just depends on what you want to get out of the form: graphics / dynamics / data???

We use Id/Ps mainly for background graphics and buttons to use in LC. Our current approach is to generate a frame or masthead in "51,51,51" v9 or "103,103,103" v8 and below: to generate a frame or header to CLAIM the Adobe space. This brings the form into the Adobe window instead of just an A4 page plonked into the standard Adobe look and feel.

Yes, it is possible to import; yes you will (probably) have to adapt the javascript, but why bother. Use the Illustrator for backgrounds / graphics only and import as a JPEG / PNG. That way you can deal with the form development / scripting in one environment - LC Designer....

... imho....

Going back to the question, if you want a dynamic form, comp it in LC - that way people won't be disappointed with the final result!! If you get people pumped up with Illustrator and can't deliver in LC, then there may be a lot of faces around the table... again imho...

What does the user want???

What does the manager want???

What data do you want???

If the form is for paper only, then IL is fine, but for electronic IL takes a back seat...

N.