Expand my Community achievements bar.

Generate form Dynamically and save as Static for entry

Level 1

I've been asked to create a dynamic form for our Flight Operations training department. The required fields to be filled out by the training pilots will differ slightly based on the type of training, type of aircraft, etc.

Normally this wouldn't be an issue but our Ops department would like to use the iPad (I know, I know) when in the Flight Simulator. If the iPad option doesn't work out, they still want things done a certain way on a laptop.

The Chief Pilot wants things to flow this way:

1. The Training Records Manager will open the dynamic form on her PC and populate the form dynamically; displaying only the required fields specific to the training being done.
  2. When the appropriate fields have been displayed on the form, she needs the ability to save as a Static form but still fillable. PDF Expert on the iPad will allow you to fill out a form.
  3. The newly saved Static form will then be sent to the Training Pilot in the Flight Simulator, all fields filled out and sent back to the Training Records Manager.

Is this possible? Or will I have to create seperate forms for every training scenario? I've explained this wouldn't be an issue if we avoided using the iPad but they want me to explore this option anyway.

Thanks

3 Replies

Former Community Member

Currently PDF forms will not work on an iPad ...so this is a non starter. There are means to have a representation of the form on the iPad but you will need LiveCycle Server to do that for you. Is that an option or are you simply looking at Acrobat?Designer?

Paul

Level 1

Actually, PDF forms will work on the iPad without Livecycle Server. I have designed forms in LiveCycle, saved as static, and open on the iPad using PDF Expert. This app will allow you to fill out the form the same as if you were on your laptop; See attached image. It just doesn't support dynamic flowable forms.(This is a quick conversion of an existing form for testing. All forms are in the process of being redone.)

iPad-Form-Sample.jpg

Our plans are to combine a lot of our forms into one and generate the layout with the required fields/sections based on the type of training. I've been doing some more research and I think my original question is more confusing then it has to be.

Let me ask it this way; I have LC open in Design View. Can I switch to Preview PDF, dynamically populate the form with the fields/sections I want and render that view out as a static form? Still keeping it interactive or fillable or whatever the terminology is?

Thanks

Level 1

"...you will need LiveCycle Server to do that for you. Is that an option.."

I should have answered your question...no, at this time, Livecycle server is not in play. We will be looking at LC server and certain modules down the road but were trying to keep the cost at a minimum in the early stages of this project.