Expand my Community achievements bar.

Generate field list

Level 2

Hi there,

I'm working with a complex form containing more than 100 fields. Is there a way to automatically generate a field list which contains all fields that I'm using in the form.

Thanks and best regards,

Maja

6 Replies

Level 10

It is possible to create a table with only one row and one column, using Row Count vary depending on data...

If you consider using the row as a Subform and each time u need to add those fields 'x' times, all you need to do is add an instance to the row...

Tables are pretty much the best tool to use to duplicate fields... or duplicate tables

Level 2

Thanks for your reply, but this is not really what I'm looking for. The result I need is a Excel list which contains all fields that I used in my form. This list is for documentation purpose. Maybe there is an option like "Export to Excel"?

Level 10

Yea, I've looked for exporting data to an excel spreadsheet but it was horrible the way it exported data into the ss...

The command to export data to Excel is in Adobe Acrobat Pro by clicking on

File > Save As... > SpreadSheet > Microsoft Excel Workbook...

also there's XML SpreadSheet..

But I don't like the way the data is spreaded through the excel table...

If you find a more convenient way to do so, I would like to know too...

Level 2

You cannot do this as such, but there's a pretty easy way.  Save your form in XDP format, that's XML.  Open the form in an XML editor and run an XPath query on it. Something like //Field would already give you all the fields and from there on, you can see what else you want for documentation.  The resulting XML, you could actually use in a form ....

Level 10

Hi,

I have just added an example of yvindevogel suggestion to my blog, http://adobelivecycledesignercookbookbybr001.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/listing-all-fields-in-form.html

This uses an XSLT and there are a few steps but you will end up with a list of fields in Microsoft Excel, with the captions, error messages, display patterns, fonts, bindings, etc listed.

You should be able to cusomise it to suit you needs.

Regards

Bruce

Former Community Member

That works great! Thanks both.

I have a form with over 600 fields and this is going to help map those pretty easily!