Expand my Community achievements bar.

Full-text search on policy-protected documents

Level 2

I'm not sure if this is the correct medium to pose my question, but I hope you can assist.

We are using Adobe LiveCycle Rights Management services to implement policy protection within our organization's document management system. Our system currently supports full-text search on its documents, by adding iFilters to the Windows indexing service, including filters that are pdf-specific.

1. Are there any filters specially-made to support policy-protected documents?
  2. If so, in what way can full-text search be enabled on such documents?
  3. How would user authentication be integrated into that process?

Thanks in advance for any help.

5 Replies

Former Community Member

When a document has a policy applied to it, it is encrypted and therefore not searchable using a full text search.  There are a couple of options that you may consider, a policy can be configured to encrypt the document but not the meta data.  This way the meta data can still be searched.  Also, a policy can be configured with encryption disabled.  This means the policy protected document could still be searched (as it is not encrypted), but the requirement for user authentication and permission control can be maintained.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Level 2

Dear Steve,

Thank you for the prompt response.

Sorry I was not able to reply earlier, but I've only now managed to try out your suggestion.

To clarify, your reply suggests that if the policy 'Document Restriction Option' is set to 'Encrypt only file attachments', a document protected by that policy will require user authentication but will still allow to be searched. Is that right?

I've tried the above, but the document is still not searchable.

Should anything be modified in the searching process, e.g. adding/modifiying the IFilters in the indexing service.

Thanks you for your help.

Regards,

Marwa

Former Community Member

In my original post I refered to the ability to encrypt the PDF while leaving the meta data unencrypted.  Thsi allows the protected PDFs to be indexed and searched based on the meta data contained in the document(s).  It is NOT a full text search.

I also mentioned that you could create a policy that did NOT encrypt the document.  This would allow for full text searching, but the level of protection would be reduced.

See attached screen shot for the settings I referred to.

Regards

Steve

Level 2

Dear Steve,

Thank you again for your response.

I've tried out your suggestion, but even when creating a policy that does not encrypt the document, I'm still not able to full-text search that document.

Is it possible that special filters or special processing must be applied to enable search on such documents?

Appreciative of your help.

Regards,

Marwa

Former Community Member

Remember, if a policy has been applied to a document (with or without encryption enabled) the user (or system) must be authenticated to view (open) the document.  When trying the full text search on your documents has the authentication step been performed?

Regards

Steve