Expand my Community achievements bar.

Formatting field location for data collection

Level 1

I'm a newbie who is completely self-taught.  Made a fancy form in LiveCycle Designer ES 8.2 and did a test distribute/submit.  My data fields are all out of whack - fields that were grouped together on the form are now spread throughout columns in both the Excel format and Adobe form response.  I see that I can manually reposition them by dragging and dropping but this is tedious.

Can anyone tell me an easier way?  Did I set up my form wrong from the beginning?  Thanks!!

5 Replies

Former Community Member

In the absence of a defined structure (like a schema or a sample XML file) the data structure will follow the hierarchy of the form. So if you position your fields in the hierachy the way you want then that should give you the data in the way you want. I do not know about the distribution (as I do not use it) but that is how it works in the XML world.

Paul

Level 1

Hi - thanks for your response.  Unfortunately XML is far beyond my level of knowledge and the fields are not consistently following the heirarchy in which they are placed on the form.  Open to other suggestions...

Former Community Member

Just tried it here and it is working as advertised....if you want to send your form and a description of the issue to LiveCycle8@gmail.com I will have a look when I get a chance.

Paul

Level 1

Hi Paul,

Just fyi - I think I know what the problem is. The output in Tracker/Excel, rather than following the hierarchy of where fields are placed on the form, seems to follow the order in which fields were added to the form. For example, if I create a 2 page form then go back and add fields to page 1, the fields that were added will show up LAST in the output rather than in the order they appear on the form...

Cara Reymann

Director of Marketing

Capital Digestive Care, LLC

12510 Prosperity Drive

Suite 200

Silver Spring, MD 20904

O: 240.485.5207

M: 301.661.3619

E: cara.reymann@captialdisgestivecare.com

Former Community Member

Didn't realize you were using tracker to get the data. Yes ..it will open the source of yor template and you are correct the order that

you added the fields onto the page/form is the order they appear in the template file. This is how tracker does it. If you simply export the data from the form ...that is when the hierarchy is used.

paul