Expand my Community achievements bar.

Form Data in an Excel Spreadsheet

Former Community Member

Hi all.

I am exporting the form data into an Excel spreadsheet and I am a little frustrated by the way the questions are not populated in the the spreadsheet in the same order as the form.

Any ideas on how to solve this??

Steve

9 Replies

Level 10

Could you pls tell me how to export data from PDF to Excel sheet?

Thanks,

Nith

Former Community Member

Hi Nith.  This is done in LiveCycle Designer 8.  Acrobat lost the ability to merge thngs into .csv file due to WIndow's .net framework updates so we have to do it using .xml.

Once the forms have been completed and the .xml files have been saved open Acrobat,

• Select 'Forms'
  • Select 'Manage Form Data'
  • Select 'Merge Data Files into Spreadsheet'
  • Select 'Add Files'
  • Add all required .xml forms
  • Selct 'Export'
  • Change the file format to 'XML Files'
  • Name the file and Select 'Save'

Open Excel'

• Select 'Data'
  • Select 'Import External Data'
  • Select 'Import Data'
  • Locate the report that you have just saved and open it

Hopes this helps.

Steve

Level 10

Thanks Steve,

Is there any other way to export data to excel without using Acrobat? Because Acrobat is not in my development scope.

Thanks,

Nith

Former Community Member

Hi Nith.

In all honesty, I don't know.  Because of the Window's .net framework changes LiveCycle 8 & 9 cannot export a CSV file, however it might be possible using version 7.

You might want to give it a go.

Steve

Level 1

Hi Steve,

I am currently experiencing the same frustration with the same problem.  Did you figure out how to ge the spreadsheet to populate the way you want?  I have tried alphabetizing the data fields in my form, but didn't work.  Would love to figure this out!!

Thanks,

Sondra

Former Community Member

Hi Sondra.  I have been unable to figure this out or find the answer anywhere.  The search continues...  If there is a resolution I will post it here

Steve

Former Community Member

1) Make sure all the fields you want to export data from are set to Normal as the default binding.

2) Export the data. In Acrobat go to Forms>Manage Form Data>Export Data. This will export an xml file of your data. The form does not have to actually contain data.

3)Create a spreadsheet in Excel. This one spreadsheet will be permanantly used with your form since you will be 'mapping' the fields to xml schema of your form.

4) In Excel, open the xml Source Pane.To open it, click XML on the Data menu, and then click XML Source.

5) Open the xml data that you exported from your form and you will see all the elements of your form that can contain data in the exact order that you would see it in the Hierarchy palette in designer.

6) From there you can drag and drop which element from your form gets imported to its corresponding cell in Excel.

It's explained in more detail here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA011895301033.aspx?pid=CL100570551033

NB: You can only export data if you have Adobe Acrobat or if the form has usage rights enabled using Reader Extensions.

Once you've finished mapping your spreadsheet, use it as a template. Remember, that one template spreadsheet will only work properly on the exact form you mapped it with. Any changes to the form (adding input fields mainly) and you'll have to export the data again, import it into Excel and remap or just append any new element.

Hope that helps.

Kyle

Level 1

I have this same problem - any luck finding a solution yet??

I can export to CSV just fine but the fields are ordered alphabetically, NOT by tab order, and this is incredibly frustrating and it seems very counter-intuitive for such an advanced product.

And no using XML doesn't fix it, I tried that too.

Any other tips??