Expand my Community achievements bar.

Form causes frequent DEP crashes

Level 2

I have a form created in LiveCycle 8.2.1.  I've added the form to a public "briefcase" from my campus collaboration suite:

http://huskymail.mtu.edu/home/ddc@mtu.edu/Adobe

I use it to review a thesis or dissertation submitted to the Graduate School.  I have three master pages for the form:

Page 1:  first page

Page 2: Required items student must complete

Page 3: Recommended items student may complete

As the required section is paginated, it flows onto the required page so that there is a heading at the top of each page saying the items are required.  Likewise for the recommended items.  Since not all students have the same problems, when I check an area of concern for their review, a text box appears that I can enter my comments in. Since the amount of commenting varies between students, the text field allows multiple lines of text.

*Sometimes* when the subforms paginate over the page, the form crashes.  I've gotten in the habit of copying the text in a field before I exit it, because that is when the form crashes.  When I paste the SAME text in the SAME field, the crash is not repeated.

As I work with the form, I can easily have 0 or 5 crashes within a single use of the form (within 60 minutes).  I lose any data since the last save.

I've recently rebuilt the entire form from scratch, replacing a table format with just flowed and positioned subforms.  The old form also only used one master page, but both are crashing in exactly the same way.  I get a "Data Execution Prevention" error, with the following details:

EventType : BEX     P1 : Acrobat.exe     P2 : 9.3.0.148     P3 : 4b3090a5    

P4 : unknown     P5 : 0.0.0.0     P6 : 00000000     P7 : 09c6c6f8    

P8 : c0000005     P9 : 00000008

The P7 code changes every time.

I'm running Windows XP.  My RAM was recently upgraded.  I used to get a different error on crashing before my RAM was upgraded and I was using hard drive space for RAM, but now I get the DEP error.

My tech support has tried to turn off DEP protection, but has been unable to make it stick so far.

Are there any suggestions out there?  Although the crashes happen frequently for me, it's only when I work with the form by typing and exiting fields that it crashes.  I have had less crashes when I run it on my laptop, but it has still crashed.

2 Replies

Level 10

I tried your form to replicate the issue but I could not.. (you already mentioned that not all Students have the issue)..

On your form I did few changes as below. May be you can see if this helps..But I am not sure about the error why it is coming and what is the meaning of the error codes.

The modified form can be accessed from below link.

https://acrobat.com/#d=7SRzAtfRpIb6G2anr3riYw

Subform_Overflow.jpg

Thanks

Srini

Level 2

The only way to tell if your changes helped is for me to use the form, and I don't have an active review waiting.  I'll keep updating as I go through this.

Unfortunately, I am the only one who enters data in the form, so all the crashing happens for me!

The reason I had those subforms "following previous" was to avoid lots of white space.  The required portion of the review is often just a little over one page, so it leaves a lot of white space if I force the recommended part of the review to the next page.