Expand my Community achievements bar.

Folder level scripts and tablets

Former Community Member

Hello,

I have a form developed in LiveCycle which uses a fodler level script to supply a SaveAs function.  The company is considering tablets for some use, and this form would be one of hte uses.  Do the folder level scripts work with any of the tablets?  I would especially like to know from the android and ios sides. Maybe it depends on the functions used, i.e. a saveas would work but not a function to look up an email address?

Regards,

Karl

6 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

I really think that your real problem is going to be an XFA form on a tablet.

Folder level scripts will not work at all, as there isn't the same concept of folders in which the application resides.

With tablets and other mobile devices you are basically working with PDF viewers (including the new Adobe Reader for iOS). These just don't run XFA forms.

See here for some marked-up screenshots: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3991098#3991098.

Niall

Level 6

Seems like a Windows tablet would be the best (only?) approach for XFA forms.

Level 10

Good catch George! I just don't seem to think of Windows tablets for some reason

Niall

Former Community Member

It seems both George and Niall are specific about using the term XFA forms.  For clarification: Is there a difference between an XFA form and other PDF forms? Maybe a differnce between one created with LiveCycle vs Acrobat Pro?  Also , what if the form is opened in Acrobat Pro and I use the "Extend Features in Acrobat Reader..." command?

Karl

Level 10

Hi Karl,

Yes, we are specific as there are fundamental differences between various "PDF" forms.

LiveCycle Designer creates XFA Forms, which are wrapped in a PDF. From the user's perspective they don't see any difference. The XFA Form looks and behaves (for the most part) like a standard PDF. However there are certain Acrobat functionality, like deleting pages or commenting that you cannot do on some XFA Forms in Acrobat.

If you develop a form solely in Acrobat, then this is referred to as an AcroForm. This is a completely different animal to XFA Forms, but to a certain degree these AcroForms are much closer to native PDF documents.

I hope that helps to clear up some of the differences between XFA Forms (made in LC Designer) and AcroForms (made in Acrobat).

In relation to your original question, even if you apply Reader rights in Acrobat, this is not going to effect the useability of the XFA Form on a tablet (with the possible exception of a Windows tablet).

Niall

Level 6

I'd just add that if you want to use an iPad, the best bet is to create an acroform and use Readdle's PDF Expert, which has the best PDF form support that I've seen on iOS. Adobe Reader on iOS has no support whatsoever! PDF Expert also has limited support for JavaScript, which is very helpful, and they're adding more all the time. I don't have an Android device, so I don't know what the best PDF viewer for forms is.