Expand my Community achievements bar.

Flex - Remote Object Apps

Level 1

I'm new to flex - just learning things. I have coldfusion cfcs that the flex app communicates with.

Originally I was using webservice in flex and the cfc was returning a query and all the columns of the data was coming into the flex app as strings.

I have just implemented the same cfc (modified) so that it is returning an object and using remoteobject in flex with the same class on the client and the data is coming down strongly typed (string, date, number, etc). That's good!

with the webservice, its reasonably simple to modify where the web service is (development server then move to production server).

with the remoteobject - how do I modify the server that it is comunicating with for development and production migration?

I'm interested in how to migrate a remoteobject app to a different server and also how to set up a flex project to use web services and use named classes so that the data types are retained.

Thanks!

Bill

3 Replies

Level 3

how do I modify the server that it is comunicating with for development and production migration?

Could you be a bit more specific about what you need to do here?

In the last part of your message you mean that you want to use WS instead of Remote Objects?

Level 1

I was using web services and I am curious how to, if its possible, to have

strong typing when using web services.

However, I have switched to Remote Objects - the reason for the post was to

understand what needed to be changed when moving an application from a

development server to a production server?

Level 1

Strong typing is not supported when using CFC's as webservices.

With Flex Remoting, you don't have to change anything when moving the app to a production server.

Just make sure that the services-config.xml and/or remoting-config.xml matches on both servers (that is, if you're using a modified one).

If you're using the default "ColdFusion" endpoint, everything should work "out of the box".