Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Flatten Dynamic pdf Files

Former Community Member

Hi,

I have a dynamic pdf file where users complete text fields, drop down lists and image fields. I also have lock all fields button script that I found in this forum to lock all form fields once user completes it. I was wondering is there a way to save or produce a flat static pdf file in the end? Sometime the dynamic form can increase in size due to the size of image inside the image field. So is there a way to flatten all its contents in the end and produce a smaller copy of that file? This way any user even with old version of adobe reader can open it  since its no longer a dynamic form.

I know sometimes I can do it by printing it as an "adobe pdf" file but it does not allow me when have the permissions set-up. I dont want to give full access too. What permissions do I need to change to enable this? Is there another way to flatten a dynamic file in the end? Has anyone done this?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Uhhh. The Distiller doesn't handle file protected with an owner or user password.

The only way to bypass this it to select the "Print as Image" options in Advanced menu of Acrobats print dialog.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 10

When you don't have LiveCycle Output (it can flatten XFA forms) then printing to PDF may be the only opportunity for you to reduce the file size.

Former Community Member

Thanks radzmar...sorry it took me awhile to get back to you.

This is were I have a problem. Since these LC forms are password protected with a permission pwd to prevent the form from being edited, I am unable to print this form to PDF. It gives out the following message:

%%[ ProductName: Distiller ]%%

This PostScript file was created from an encrypted PDF file.

Redistilling encrypted PDF is not permitted.

%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%

%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

I am guessing that above message is displayed since the document is restricted from being changed. So is there a way to allow a pdf printing with the permission password enabled?

Alternatively, I thought another way to flatten pdfs might be to save the pdf file as jpeg image or any image file. But that doesn't work when the permission pwd is enabled as well since it shows the message "Insufficient permissions for image extraction". So whats the solution in this case? what are my options to flatten the pdf files in the end when the permission password is enabled?

Correct answer by
Level 10

Uhhh. The Distiller doesn't handle file protected with an owner or user password.

The only way to bypass this it to select the "Print as Image" options in Advanced menu of Acrobats print dialog.

Level 6

I've tested and found the "Microsoft Print to PDF" printer driver WILL allow you to print a "password-protected" XFA (Static or Dynamic) to pdf (effectively flattening the form) unlike the "Adobe PDF" printer driver.

Hence, using the "Microsoft Print to PDF" printer driver is an alternate solution for printing protected forms to pdf.

Using the "print as image" option as radzmar mentions is also option, but it noticeably decreases the quality (i.e. text becomes pixelated).

Hope this helps someone in near future!