Expand my Community achievements bar.

File size limited based on graphics card memory?

Former Community Member

I've created a form that allows for an unlimited number of photos to be loaded into it. I put an image into a subform that is duplicated every time a user clicks a button thus creating an unlimited number of images that can hold photos.

I'm running into a problem when I try to load a large number of photos into the form.  It gets to about 47MB of images when it locks-up Adobe reader.  I've been able to bring up other applications after the lock-up and when I switch back to Reader the artifacts of the other application are then displayed within Reader.

What is the practical limit to the size of a file created with LiveCycle?  Is it tied to the amount of graphics memory a computer has?  My machine has 2GB of RAM while my video card has only 384MB.  I haven't been able to figure out if there is a file size limitation.  Is this more a problem of Adobe Reader?

1 Reply

Level 10

Hi,

I think you are going to run into "out of memory" issues with a lot of photos and a 47Mb PDF. One of our forms has a lot of repeating elements and once it gets to 20 pages, it starts to creak (go very slow).

As each new photo is added, particularly if it is pushing other elements down, then Acrobat/Reader needs to relayout the pages. This takes resources which become strained if there are a lot of pages. Eventually Acrobat/Reader falls over.

John Brinkman has a post that may be of interest: Linked vs. Embedded Template Images

Niall