Expand my Community achievements bar.

Field data is disappearing on open from Adobe Reader 9 to Adobe Pro 8 and vice vers

Level 1

Can anyone assist?  When we save user entered data  in a PDF using Adobe Pro 8, save and close the document, then reopen the PDF in Adobe Pro 8, all is fine.  If however we then open the same saved document in Adobe Reader 9.0, the data saved seems to have disappeared from the form.  The same problem occurs when a PDF saved with data in Adobe Reader 9, is opened in Adobe Pro 8 (i.e. the data entered from Reader seems to have vanished).

There are a few posts but no solutions. 

2 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

Starting with Adobe Reader 9 > Acrobat 8 direction first. Data entered in Reader cannot be saved unless the form has been Reader Enabled beforehand. There are plenty of threads on Reader enabling forms.

With Acrobat 8 > Reader 9, I haven't come across that before. Can you open the form in LC Designer and check the binding of each field in the Object > Binding palette. It should be set to name/normal. If it is set to 'none', then this may be part of the problem.

Can you share your form? If so upload it to acrobat.com and share the published link here.

Niall

Assure Dynamics

Level 10

Search facility seems to only go back as far as today for some reason, so in relation to Reader enabling...

If the user opens the form in Reader, while they can enter data, they can not save this data unless the form has been Reader enabled beforehand. There are two ways to do this:

1. Applying the rights in Acrobat v9 Standard or Acrobat v8 Professional (there are licensing restrictions). OR
  2. Applying the rights in LiveCycle Reader Extensions ES2, which is a server product (there are additional costs).

Features within Reader will be available or unavailable depending on how the form is enabled. Here is a summary:

options.png

Further information is available here: http://www.assuredynamics.com/index.php/2010/11/using-livecycle-forms-in-acrobat-and-reader/

Hope that helps,

Niall

Assure Dynamics