Expand my Community achievements bar.

Exporting Field Contents from pdf to Excel

Former Community Member

Hi, I have a form that was designed in Live Cycle ES 8 and it is filled in by users in adobe reader.  There are

specific fields that are filled in that I want to export into an excel format but I can't seem to do that.  Have tried doing this from Adobe Pro.  I can't even select the contents of more than one field at a time.  When I use the >File > Export  option it doesn't export the field contents or at least I can't see them. Does this have something to do with the way the form is designed? (ie. does that functionality need to be built into the form?)  Any assistance is appreciated.

2 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

In Acrobat v9 (and I am sure in v8 as well), you can merge XML data files into a spreadsheet.

So first, you would open each file, export to XML and then merge these into a spreadsheet.

Acrobat1.png

If you use Acrobat.com to distribute the forms, it can automate the export to Excel for you.

However one thing you should check in the form design (LC Designer) is that the fields are bound to Normal (Name in LC Designer ES2), see Object > Binding tab. This instructs Acrobat that the field receives data on import and exports data on export.

If the binding is set to None, then the object will not take part in the import/export operations.

Hope that helps,

Niall

Former Community Member

Thanks Niall for the response, that seemed to do the trick. The binding detail you mentioned was the problem.  Thanks a lot.