Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Expandable Form won't create 2nd page

Level 1

I’ve checked numerous posting on the forum and can't solve my problem with flowable forms using LiveCycle Designer 8.2. This is my first stab at creating expandable text fields and although there are numerous posting about not being able to get the text to flow onto a second page, none of the solutions work for me. The existing form only has 1 page, but I need it to create a second page if the text boxes expand.

I have 4 text fields that need to be able to expand and flow. Each of my text fields allow multiple lines, allow page breaks within content, expand to fit, and are put into subforms so they won't overlap each other when expanded. All four text fields/subforms are contained within another subform, also set to flow and break across pages. I have a row of logos at the bottom and I have put them on the Master Page as a footer.

The preview default is dynamic and the LiveCycle file is saved as dynamic XML. The text fields expand properly except when they reach the bottom of the page, at which point they overlap the logos on the footer and disappear. The subform “wrapper” for the 4 fields has an error message though: “This object may not work properly. Although the object is allowed to break, deselecting the Allow Page Breaks Within Content option of the parent object restricts this object from breaking between pages.” I don’t know how to fix that.

If I change my Page1 content subform (untitled subform page 1) to flow instead of positioned all the formatting goes wacky and objects are positioned all over the place – most of them shoot over to a second page that’s created.

Is this fixable at all?

2 Replies

Level 1

MareyMac,

The page1 content subform definitely has to be set to flow content. You don't have to put your multi-line text fields into subforms because if the parent page subform is set to flow then they will not overflow onto each other no matter what. Without knowing more about your form it sounds like there are some issues with the sizes of your subforms that are wrapping the multi-line text fields. Try unwrapping your text fields and have them just simply reside in the page1 subform. If they all span the width of the master content area, then they will simply flow top to bottom.

I hope this helps.

Level 1

That creates total chaos but I think I may have figured out what is going on. I found an example of the same issue...

"The form was a converted word doc and it basically exploded when I set the layout to flowable. There were so many remnants from word that most of the form was jettisoned off the bottom of the page. It looked like garbage.

Hierarchy is important because the flowable layout (with: ‘top to bottom’ flow direction) relies on the order of the elements for positioning.

So we resolved to rebuild the form from scratch and it’s working nicely."