Expand my Community achievements bar.

Expand to Fit Boxes Don't Display Past One Page

Level 1

Hi all,

I am using LiveCycle Designer 8.0 to create a pdf form for people to fill out. The form has many text fields for which I've enabled "Expand to fit" (in the "Layout" tab of LiveCycle).  The field does indeed expand to fit the text entered when you're viewing the form in PDF, but once you type enough text to go onto another page, the text runs off the initial page and does display or print properly on teh next page.  In fact, the pdf creates a new, *blank* additional page where the text *should* be displayed, but again, the page does not display the text that runs off of the initial page, nor can i print it.

Is there a way to get the text that runs off the initial page to go onto the next page, display properly on that page, and print?

Any help you could provide would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

3 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

You have completed the first step, in getting the object to expand. Now you need to focus on the page settings.

If you select the page and go to the Object > Subform palette, you will see that the page is set to Positioned. Change this to Flowed. The layout of the form is now vertically stacked and with no gaps between the objects. This is probably not the look you are after. So for the time being Control+Z to change back to Positioned.

You will need to wrap all of the static objects in a positioned subform and only have the fields that grow in height in a flowed subform. Once you have the subforms set up with margins, etc, you can change the page to flowed. The layout should not change too much. Now when the textefield expands beyond a page, the form will flow onto a new page.

Paul Guerette is giving an online Tech Talk on dynamic forms on the 30 November - it would be a good one to attend. Details here:

http://acrobatusers.com/events/49326/tech-talk-developing-flowable-form-content

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 1

Thanks for your reply Niall.  When I click on the individual subforms and look at the Object > Subform pallette, I have "Flowed" selected for "Content" (though there are some variations on "Flow Direction" and whether I've checked "Allow Page Breaks within Content".

I'm not sure I understand correctly, but from your directions, it sounds like i have to include all the static objects under a "Positioned" subform, while all of the expandable, user-entered text boxes are to be under a subform whose content is "Flowed".  Before I do any of this, i should make everything "Positioned" and worry about making things "Flowed" afterward, is this correct?

On another posting (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/338212), some mentioned page breaks as a potential source of the problem.  Is this also something I should be concerned about?

Thanks again.

Level 10

Hi,

If you select the page in the hierarchy, I believe that this is set to Positioned. If you want objects to flow onto a new page, then this need to be set to Flowed.

Here is an example: https://acrobat.com/#d=pxy*P4aVfhyjmMHXuOEy*Q

I was just recommending that it helps to keep objects that do not grow in height together in a positioned subform. For most cases you will want to 'Allow breaks in content', therefore tick that option for the subform and any other subform that it is inside.

Niall