So my Level 2 troubleshooter called me back this morning, after two days of what struck me as very thorough research on his part.
He explained that ES3 and 4 were not tested with Windows 10; they were both developed with the Windows 8 registry. Moreover, LCD is destined for sunset in favour of Adobe Experience Manager form development, so we can't expect much change in this regard.
Problems with LCD previews can occur with Windows 10 when saving to network drives, especially network drives that are synchronized for offline work. This is the case with my two laptops which have the same preview problem, and are both synced with the same Windows domain network.
So the solution is to not work with LCD files on network drives... stick to internal drives when working and then copy files to the network with File Explorer if needed.
I havent looked into AEM forms but it does seem like there is movement towards making forms using HTML 5. The advantage is I think that they will then be able to be used on platforms where LCD dynamic forms cant be used. For me, Livecycle forms only work in Acrobat or Internet Explorer.
Yeah, I got the feeling that this guy wasn't in a position to report bugs to fix but was rather looking for a config change that would solve my problem.
What is the conventional wisdom around here about the future of LCD? The guy I dealt with implied it was being rolled into Adobe Experience Manager, but with the quick look that I gave it I couldn't see any of the depth that LCD has.
I’m now not surprised that I didn’t get much help here with this one. This is clearly a difficult and unusual case, although IMO there is nothing unusual about how I use Adobe software; the machine is less than two months old and I am not in any way a complex “power user”.
I spent 15 minutes with Adobe’s level 1 support, and then over 1.5 hours with an experienced and competent level 2 analyst. He manually deleted all traces of Adobe products, over 100,000 files, and cleared all registry items. Then he reinstalled everything, checked for PDF integration with IE which apparently is important, but the problem still persisted. Go figure.
He is going to call me back on Monday for further investigation, but meanwhile I bit the bullet, re-formatted C:, re-built the entire OS and app collection, and the problem is now fixed. Pretty drastic measures that most people would not want to do.
I have another machine with the same problem, so if he has new information on the root cause he can use that one.