Can someone help me with recommendations for effective tuning?
My VM Image starts in few seconds, but my ES2 Instance takes 18+ Minutes to start and has multiple Java exceptions on startup.
Questions I could use help with:
1) Are the exceptions expected? How many? Which kind?
2) Where are the LC ES2 startup performance tuning options? What should the settings be?
3) For the VM Ware tuning, I have tried varying both the CPU's and the Memory allocation, but this doesn't seem to make a difference.
4) Because of storage limitations, I am starting the VM Ware image from my 😧 Drive. Does this make a difference?
5) Is there any inherent order of how things should be started that would make a difference? For example, not starting Outlook until after the VM is started? I have tried a few variations with no apparent difference.
Try to keep your disks (in the VM) limited in size! I always use C for the MS stuff (os et al); all the installs I do I put on a 2nd disk D
for semi pro install create E drive for logs, temps, global dir (ref. Giovanni's entry) -> this makes you LC never block on full disk as it could happe with the SpringTech image
Last but not least, if resources allow (use something like Giovanni's MP!) separate the server and the client stuff. On my MBP I make the host file entries and use an XP for Workbench, Designer, et al, use my Mac Safari for Workspace and let the server run without touching it in the background! Tell and show the multi plaf story of Adobe to the audience – without mentioning the Workplace and Designer thing, of course 😉
I did manage to help with the overal VM Ware performance a little. I reduced the memory footprint to 2 Gig ( I have 4 Gig in the actual machine) and reduced the processors from 2 to 1. This helps with the VM Ware load and response times.
The LiveCycle start up time is still around 17+ minutes.
FWIW, I also see sometimes the exceptions you're seeing, but they seem to be related to processes launched before the image was available to us. The startup time, in my case, is quite variable, from 8 mins to 15 mins, but so far I've done most test working at home where I can use my Mac Pro with 8 cores and 9 GB RAM, and therefore I usually have at least two VMW running at once. I reached the 8 mins running the image alone, 15 running it along with the standard "productivity" image (i.e. my current "Adobe PC" which I'm now using to type this message).