Expand my Community achievements bar.

ES2 Evaluation Virtual Appliance convert to ESXi

Level 2

I was dissapointed to see the virtual appliance change to the vmware player format as I need to run it on our ESX envrionment (3.5.0). Shouldn't an appliance for the "enterprise"  be distributed for enterprise rather than desktop virtual envrionment?

Anyhow, has anyone been sucessfull in converting with the vmware standalone converter? Fails for me with incorrect OVF format.

A big vote here for distributing in both formats!!

10 Replies

Level 7

Brian:

That change was made based on field observatioins that most people were using the VMware appliance on their laptops/desktops and running VMware Workstation/VMware Player.

We have successfully tested the conversion from the current format to the ESX OVF format (vSphere 4.0) using the VMware vCenter Converter Standalone:

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/datacenter_downloads/vmware_vcenter_converter_standalone/4_0

We did not test VMware VI3 (3.0) which is what you are running.

For the next release, we'll try to make available the ESX format also.

Level 2

Thanks. Both formats would be much appreciated! Even a URL to do a direct load of appliance into the virtual infrastructure.

Level 2

I have finally been sucessful in getting the virtual appliance imported into my ESXi 3.5 with VMware ovftool 2.0.1. I converted to OVF first then imported but the documentation seems to indicate that I could have gone directly from the workstation format. Took about 1/10th the time that the VMware vCenter Converter Standalone took and actually worked. In my experience the VMware Converter is WAFT.

C:\VirtualMachines\VMwareESX>ovftool --datastore="datastore1" --network="VM Network" ES2-ConvertedAppliance\lces2.ovf vi://root:****@142.36.105.200
Opening OVF source: ES2-ConvertedAppliance\lces2.ovf
Opening VI target: vi://root@142.36.105.200/
Warning:
- The specified operating system identifier '' (id: 83) is not supported on the
selected host. It will be mapped to the following OS identifier: 'Other Linux (
64-bit)'.
Deploying to VI: vi://root@142.36.105.200/
Disk Transfer Completed
Completed successfully

Level 7

Brian:

The ES2 SP2 (9.0.0.2) version of the LiveCycle VMware Appliance is now available in ESX format as well as the Workstation format.

Level 2

Thanks for the note, I've already got it downloaded and imported. Much appreciated!

I would be really nice to have the Solution Accelerators installed into an appliance as well. I really struggled (unsuccessfully) with the previous version of the Solution Accelerators to the point of calling them the Solution Decelerators. I approach the new versions with trepidation.

---

Brian

Level 7

We're currently building an ES2.5 Virtual Appliance that will have all the three SAs.  Stay tuned.

Level 2

Hi Jayan,

Any ETA on the ES 2.5 virtual appliance with solution accelerators installed? I'm stuck as I've loaded the ES 2.5 appliance (SUSE) and now discover that the solution accelerator 9.5 download does not include Linux installer.

See http://forums.adobe.com/message/3261476

Level 7

We're shooting for Nov 25 or earlier.

- Jayan

Level 2

Yes please, could you also update the VMware tools as well since it is not running quite well (the mouse movement is rather clunky).

and let us know here when the release / updated version of the virtual appliance.

Cheers,

Albert