Expand my Community achievements bar.

entering empty rooms "costs" a huge amount of push messages?

Former Community Member

Hey guys,

i currently tested how the amount of push messages depends on joining rooms.

I entered 10 times an empty room and didn't sent a single line in the "simplechat".

It counts about 500(!) push messages!

Can this be true?

(Because when it's true i can never ever afford that in my live application)

Thanks for your help.

5 Replies

Former Community Member

Bump!

Yeah these prices are outrageous. Just in testing over the past 4 days (no where near a whole hour of continuous connection), it has costed 67 cents! Some quick math showed me that CPM based apps will never be able to afford these prices without running an ungodly amount of ads. And this isn't even factoring in Video/Audio data over hub-and-spoke bandwidth!

Former Community Member

Hi Manipulix,

I think I covered this in another thread, but we've found an issue which is causing your extra messages - we've checked in a fix which should go out to production within the month. Apologies for the problem, and thanks for the heads up!

Former Community Member

Hey,

thanks for tackling the problem.

My tests show that now only 6 messages per room join are counted.

Thats a lot better than 50 but still not affordable for me yet.

Is there a chance that the generated messages on room joins can be reduced to 0?

If thats possible I - and probably many other developers - can go live with my application right now.

Thanks a lot!

Former Community Member

Hi there,

I think we're basically hitting a point where you're saying you need it to

be free all the time? It would take 17 rooms to cost you $0.01 at this rate.

How many rooms are you planning on running? Do you plan on making any money

at all? What would actually be affordable?

thanks

nigel

Former Community Member

Thanks for your quick response!

My problem at the time isn't the amount of total rooms but the costs, when a users switches to another room.

In my application the users will probably swich the rooms with a high frequency.

Affordable for me are the costs per userhour.

And now because of the p2p messaging feature in v10.1 I can minimize the hub traffic and post messages.

The only remaining problem is that post messages are generated when users change rooms.

While room-changes are one of the basic functions of my application any remaining costs for room-joins are still a problem even if the costs for a single room-join are pretty low yet.

I hope I explained my problem enough in detail.