Expand my Community achievements bar.

emails aren't sent unless Outlook Express is open?

Former Community Member

I have a fillable pdf form I created using Adobe LiveCycle Designer.

There is a "Submit by email" button on the form which is supposed to email the xml data to me.

When I created this, I clicked on the button, the email was generated with the attachment and I sent it, but the email never arrived.

Later, when I opened Outlook Express, the email was sent.

Other people have also experienced that the email is only sent if Outlook Express is open.

Many of the people I want to fill this out and send back data via email use webmail.

Is there anything I can change to make the send email work without their email program being open?

I have used other computer based programs which were able to send email even though I didn't have Outlook Express open.

I'm new to LiveCycle Designer, so step by step instructions or a reference link would be appreciated.

1 Reply

Former Community Member

The sendmail functionality uses an api called mapi. As this api is not controlled by Acrobat it can be influenced by outside sources. This api can be expoited by viruses etc for DOS attacks. for this reason many of the virus scan software vendors have provisions in their software that will affect when mapi calles can be made.

As far as webmail is concerned there is no api for that program (there is no automation) so it is expected that the user will save the pdf and attach it to an email by hand. You will notice a dialog when the sendmail is executed indicating this (1st dialog that pops up).

Hope that helps

Paul